Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came upon a 1986 graduate that has been sitting for a few years. Only has 37k miles on it. Previous owner drained the fuel tank and put a few gallons of fresh fuel in it. He tried to start it but noticed fuel leaking under the car while cranking it. Couple months later and now it is my car and my problem. I put a new battery in it and it tried to start it and black smoke came out the exhaust as it stumbled then stalled, tried a few more times and no start or stumble just cranked. I looked under the car and fuel is dripping from the catalytic converter. Obviously some fuel source is leaking into the engine. I guess one or more injectors could be stuck open. Any way to narrow it down and could something else be a source of the fuel like the cold start injector?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,093 Posts
Are you sure it is not coming from an external source and it just looks like it is coming out of the cat? I have never heard of such a thing..... interested to hear more opinions on this one. I hope you find the issue!

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
Welcome to the Alfa BB.

I agree with the above. I think it would take a massive injection of fuel to see raw gas dripping out of the exhaust. It seems more likely there is a fuel line/hose leaking nearby and it is collecting on the catalytic converter.

Of course sitting unused is bad for any car but especially an Alfa. Click on the link in my signature for a page of info about diagnosing the L-jet system in our cars. For sure get the fuel dripping situation sorted out. And no smoking until then...

P.S. don't make us send Guido over to pay youse a visit. We like pictures - so we insiste you post some.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
take out the spark plugs and crank the engine over....if that much fuel is leaking to allow raw fuel into the cat, you should notice something just by looking in the spark plug holes.
I can't think of any fuel hose on that side of the car.

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I recently had an injector that was sticking open and the engine was running terrible.
I pulled the spark plugs, and the offending cylinders plug was black, the others were the typical tan/white color.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I doubt fuel is going into the exhaust and dripping out of the cat, there would have to be a big exhaust leak accompanied with the fuel leak for that to be possible.
I highly suggest not attempting to start the car until the leak is tracked down, if you were to fix one problem and get the car running, but not fix the fuel leak in its entirety-you could be looking at a fire.

I would get up under the car, with it up on jack stands. Get a good look with a flashlight. Inspect the spark plugs and see if any are black, that could tell you right off the bat where the fuel issue is. Give the oil a sniff, if there were a massive fuel leak that would send gasoline down into the exhaust, you've diluted your oil and that would also be a be a disaster waiting to happen.
Inspect every fuel hose, if the car doesn't have a lot of miles on it and its been sitting, any rubber parts should be in question.

Once you get the starting issue sorted you will have a very fun and delightful car on your hands!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil smells like gas over 2 quarts over filled, Plugs are black and required a breaker to get them loose, golden lodge plugs. I do not see any fuel leaks outside of the engine. I am going to remove the injectors and other FI components, clean and test and hopefully correct the leaks.

·
Administrator
12,765 Posts
You need to empty the exhaust of fuel, before any starting attempt, unless you want to make a fire related insurance claim.

Engine needs oil change, and I would disconnect any cold start injector until you resolve this issue ...
Pete

·
Registered
125 Posts
Might be worth testing all the injectors into a bucket to see which ones are stuck open... including the cold start injector.

Good opportunity to update the exhaust as well ;)

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Oh gosh, I was not expecting you to come back and say you had that much fuel in the oil!
I was hoping for better!
Oh well, at least injectors are not a rocket science repair.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
squirt some oil down into the spark plug holes as a precaution.....your bores will be totally fuel washed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started to remove vacuum lines and it appears that most lines are brittle, cracked or split, The rubber sleeves that connect the plenum to the manifold are all split. Whats a good source for these sleeves?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,093 Posts
Siliconehose.com. replace all for 30 bucks or order premade kit from hiperformancestore for 120.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
the 4 plenum rubbers can be got at Centerline for 5$ apiece
Air Intake Hoses Spica/Bosch | Centerline International

since you have to remove the plenum to replace those 4 rubbers, good time to see to the injectors (send them off to one of the companies to be cleaned, flow tested, new hoses and micro filters etc)

with the plenum removed a great time to check/replace the engine mount on that side (its a real pita job with the plenum in place!... the driver's side is a breeze in comparison)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts