Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Fuel leak on my 1.5 33...

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  gfunk 
#1 ·
Hey anybody had any problems with fuel leaks on this model.. i cant seem to find where its leaking from.. smell can get pretty bad in the cabin.

#4 ·
Id say check all fuel lines, front and rear...if it leaks in the wrong spot, 33's burn really really well. My dad was walking to his office in the city one morning and some woman executing a right hand turn in a 33 at a set of lights had her car go up in the middle of the road, my dad lent a hand to push it out the way and comfort the panic stricken driver while the fire brigade arrived. Suspected cause was a split fuel hose, I also know of another that went the same way. When in doubt, throw it out!:D ie buy new fuel lines! Best of luck!

#5 ·
Hi
Look closely at the fuel line where they attach to the carbs.
Mine were cracked at the point where the brass fitting(part that hose goes over) ends and being the original fuel lines (as i suspect most still have fitted) with the cloth braiding it is easy to miss the cracking.

I found out buy chance when I noticed a strong fuel smell while driving.
I dont need to tell you what happens when fuel leaks from this point...well it drips straight down to the exhaust manifold - I believe that this fault has been the firey death of a few boxers out there.

If possible just replace all of the fuel lines with new modern lines, they are quite cheap.

Good luck

#6 ·
also check

I believe that this model has two double carbs. . Carburated models have lot of petrol vapors inside the intake manifold that escape in the engine space. Check engine space for odors. If so, check the following hoses (marked as ** are the same for injection model)

1) Fuel lines as described above. **
2) Vacuum hose from left carb to advance vacuum pump **
3) Oil vapours return down the air filter
4) Air filter flanges

Also check connections of the fuel reservoir neck and fuel vapors valve near the rear axle.
good luck

#8 · (Edited)
Hmmm

Hey thanks everyone for your help.. found a few things that may be contributing none as suspect than whats shown in the image.
I also had an image showing what the other end of the hose was connected to which was called a gasoline vapor filter i think.

Attachments

#9 ·
Not too sure which one you mean, theres three in the pic and a yellow line...The fatter one kind of looks a bit like the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster, especially with that valve in it, if it is I have no idea what its doing all the way up the front, routed like that.

I would be inclined to think its something to do with the emissions stuff, any idea what each end is hooked up to? - if it is emissions stuff and if no one's looking...rip it out...your car will go better!:D

It also looks like your car has the original fuel lines wrapped in the cloth braiding. The braiding hides the cracked rubber beneath..I think it would be a good time to replace them considering you can smell petrol:rolleyes:

#10 · (Edited)
Ahh will do.. What i was trying to point to was the hose thats not connected to the yellow cylender looking thing.. dunno what it is anyway the other end is connected to something called a gasoline vapor filter? I THOUGHT that might have fixed it but no still same fuel smell... will replace the lines n see what happens then

#12 ·
I would seriously consider replacing all the fuels lines. The cloth covered ones can do two things at this point, fracture and leak fuel, and decompose and fill the carbs with bits of rubber which will somehow bypass the carburettor filters and cause mayhem with the carburettors.

Mine split all over the place leaking and spraying fuel everywhere.

#14 · (Edited)
sorry to bump this old thread

I have the same problem with my 1.7 QV boxer

i filled her up then the next day whole cabin smelt like fuel, i went for a drive and when i parked i looked under the car and i could see fuel dripping from the rear 1/4 slightly behind the fuel pump.. i couldnt tell where it was coming from though it just seemed to appear on the metal? in the boot was pretty dry

when i got it in the garage i couldnt get it to leak again, i kinda think this has something to do with the expansion tank but like i said the boot seemed dry

edit: i removed the expansion tank and it was full of fuel, what does this mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.