Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1982 Alfa Spider Veloce with 128k miles and I have run into a problem. I have always used premium grade gas for my car. Two weeks ago, on my way out of town, I accidently filled up my tank with 87 octane fuel . It ran through the tank with no issues (200 miles). When I filled up again with 93 octane last week, the car began to hesitate very sparaticly while driving. I let the car sit for a few hours, thinking the fuel filter had collected some sediment and it drove fine the rest of the week,,, until Friday. This is when my car died. It was constantly sputtering on my way to work that day and when I tried to start it to go home friday afternoon, it wouldnt start. I walked to AutoZone, purchased and installed a new fuel fillter and still no luck. In fact, the car only turned over, no sputter idle, nothing. I had to get it towed to my house. It sat all weekend and still just turning over. The tank is not new but it worked just fine before last weeks 87 octane blast. I am no mechanic and would love to hear from someone who might know what went wrong and what I can do to get my alfa back on the road.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well, the 87 (if it wasn't filled with crap) didn't do any harm. Your engine doesn't need higher octane to run right and you are just a-wasting money by running more expensive fuel in it. Sounds like you probably have another problem that is in the fuel system.

Can you make certain that the pump is delivering fuel to the engin? Pull off a hose and see if it's pumping into a container.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Seriously doubtful that the 87 octane caused any problems such as you describe, or at least it woulda been acting up well before you went back to the 93, not shortly thereafter.

I think the the question to be asked is what condition was that 93 in when it came out of the ground and into the tank?

'Course it could be other things that just happened to act up at this particularly (in)convenient moment, but the odds are kinda slim for that occuring. I'll throw my initial bet on 'bad gas'.

LOL
Dammit Jon!!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Darren "Slow-pecker" Tifosi strikes again! :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I of course don't know what brand of gasoline that you used, but I've had problems with Valero in one of my vehicles, especially in the summer. Another car of mine had trouble with Shell gasoline, even when I tried over several different fills, at different locations.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Like Darren said, doubtful that the 87 octane/93 octane is the issue. Car may ping some with the wrong grade, thats it. Its a long term effect mostly, pinging/detonation (they are different ).

Look for other culprits.

Oh, most gasolines are the same- cant blame Shell vs Mobil vs whatever- they come from the same pipeline. Upper teir gas is also very debateable/lacking of real proof of their claims......

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
When I was 15 I did it like a rabbit, now I do it like a man and in 15 years I'll reminice about when I was able to do it at all
OK, yeah, I remember the VW Rabbit. It was a quick little car. Too much rust though......

Cmon, Dar, whattya gonna do next year when you reach the age of 40? Man, stop complaining.....LOL

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
getting spark? and yes check that fuel is being pumped to the engine.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
thanks for the response. i use premium based on what the owners manual told me.
Its a MON vs PON thing.
Manual was written for MON (Motor Octane Number) but in the U.S. we use PON (Pump Octane Number) which is a mathematical result of MON and RON (Research Octane Number)

In this particular instance 'premium' would be anything right around 90 octane
as labelled on the pump with 93 being way overkill. At least in a dollars to performance or actual need kind of way.

There's a few threads about it somewhere, but basically PON is about 4~6 points different than MON. So yeah, in Europe you'd want roughly '93' or higher, but stateside, 89~91 is just peachy keen, cause they are actually both the same thing.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I'll need to confirm this but memory tells me that the L-jet Spiders use regular fuel (87 PON in the USA). It is the Spica and Motronic cars that require premium.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
I always wanted a Ducati but had to settle for a Norton Commando.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts