Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
1987 Quad
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 Quad seems to be running pretty well. I have no baseline but it generally seems to both idle and accelerate pretty smoothly and with reasonable power and starts easily. The CSI has been replaced. All of my vintage car experience is with carbureted cars so this is my first involvement with fuel injection. I took a look at the short fuel hose sections at each of the injectors today and boy do they look old, hard and slightly cracked. So not long from now I envision pulling the injectors and having them serviced.

Most of the posts I have read about servicing the injectors on this BB are now at least 8-10 years old. So I am wondering about best advice for where to send the injectors? When they are tested, are the seals, hoses et al. replaced/renewed as well?

So, I noticed on the Centerline Int. site that they have an injector servicing kit (photo below). I notice that their kit, which is now out of stock, includes screw hose clamps, but in looking at my car I don't see any hose clamps on the short hoses and in looking at the Alfa service manual diagrams I see no hose clamps. What is the purpose of Centerline's hose clamps?

As I understand it, the four short hoses pieces are 7.0mm. Other fuel hose is 7.5 mm is it not?

Thanks for responding to these questions and please feel free to add any advice on related issues as I plow ahead.

Lin
fi127.jpg

Premium Member
@Lin -- Read this thread. The hose is 7.5mm. The Centerline kit is for the V-6 engines. Much safer to use clamps.

Registered
1987 Quad
Discussion Starter #3
@Lin -- Read this thread. The hose is 7.5mm. The Centerline kit is for the V-6 engines. Much safer to use clamps.
Thank you, Rich. Sorry to hear about your near calamity, but glad to know story had a happy ending. Do you have a photo of your installation with the clamps?
Lin

Premium Member
A little hard to see with all of the wires installed, but here's the hose for injector 3 (fuel rail at the bottom):

Registered
1987 Quad
Discussion Starter #5
A little hard to see with all of the wires installed, but here's the hose for injector 3 (fuel rail at the bottom):

Thank you. As always, the photo is helpful. With the clamps do you still use what the manual calls 鈥渟eal bushes鈥 or what you called 鈥渇errules.鈥 Couldn鈥檛 tell from the photo.

Lin

Premium Member
No ferrules. You want the clamps past the barbs if possible.

Registered
1987 Quad
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha! Thanks again.
Lin

Registered
Get hold of Rich Jensen ([email protected]). He's a wizard at rebuilding and refurbishing fuel injectors, and his prices for the work are way reasonable.

Administrator
I have used Cruzin Performance in the past & was pleased with their service. I don't know if they include all the seals needed - be sure to ask first.

Note that there is (or should be) a phenolic seat in the intake & an O-ring on the injector that fits against the phenolic seat. That phenolic seat is NLA - look carefully for it (is usually stays in the intake). If it should come out with the injector do not lose it! If the seats are gone, you can use two O-rings instead.

Premium Member
I want to agree with the above about Cruzin performance. You get your injectors back with a test history and new hoses on them. All for around $120 as I recall. Last set I sent them was about 1.5 years ago. Made a big difference

Registered
"much safer to use clamps"...can't really agree with that one.
Although, I agree your near disaster was because you were supplied the wrong OD hose...and then using ferrules will not hold gas tight.
(so yes, safer in the sense, if you are not aware of what hose to use, or what hose you have been supplied... then use clamps)

generally the design with no clamps, just ferrules is a clever and very simple (normally) fool-proof design...
...but, yes, for the design to work the hose does need to fit correct so that the ferrule holds the ends tight.......and it looks much neater too

just my 2c

Registered
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
I would check all the other fuel hoses in the system. Some are tucked out of sight and may escape attention until they start to leak. Make sure to replace them with ethanol resistant hoses. Some part stores seem to still have old stock of non-resistant fuel hose.

If you have bad injectors you might try replacing with new items. Bosch injectors are long out of production, but Standard Motor offer a replacement (part number FJ707). Rock Auto and Summit have them for a good price. I just installed them on my car and they seem to be working great for me. Time will tell if they're durable. I have no idea how they compare to the Bosch injectors in terms of flow rate. They came with hose clamps instead of the ferrules, for what it's worth.

Even with new injectors, you must keep the old cup seal things at the tip, as others have mentioned. They were an Alfa only part it seems.

Premium Member
"much safer to use clamps"...can't really agree with that one.
Although, I agree your near disaster was because you were supplied the wrong OD hose...and then using ferrules will not hold gas tight.
(so yes, safer in the sense, if you are not aware of what hose to use, or what hose you have been supplied... then use clamps)

generally the design with no clamps, just ferrules is a clever and very simple (normally) fool-proof design...
...but, yes, for the design to work the hose does need to fit correct so that the ferrule holds the ends tight.......and it looks much neater too

just my 2c
And if you send your injectors to Cruzin Performance, they will come back with the correct hoses.

Premium Member
My comment was that clamps were safer, which I believe. I didn't say anything about which was more clever or cleaner looking. But I agree that if everything is done right with the correct dimension parts, like done at the factory, the original setup is undoubtedly safe. Originality is just way down my list of priorities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts