Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I'm ready to pull the fuel injectors and take them to be cleaned and balanced. I've got them removed from the intake manifold, disconnected electrically and am ready to remove them from the fuel rail. Now it looks for all the world like just bits of 1/4" fuel line attaching the injectors to the rail by barbs on both the injector and the rail. If so, then I can sacrifice the fuel line with a razor blade and replace it with new when I re-install. Or is it not that simple? I don't want to destroy something that's going to cost good money to fix.

Thanks,
scott

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah I destroyed the old lines by cutting them off. It's worth replacing them as you won't have to do it again. There are little metal cradles on each end that you'll need to keep. on mine the hoses were embedded in there and I needed to cut the hose out of them. Just make sure that you don't destroy them when doing it. It's a long task but gets easier with each injector you do.
My mechanic recommends clamps be used too as an added measure.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pita...

I agree with Alfettish.

Planning on replacing the rubber is a good move as you overhaul the rail, so cutting them would be fine. Actually removing the pieces attached to both the injectors and rail with those cups can be a chore.:confused: A sharp and pointed hobby knife or surgical blade helps as there is little room to get to the length if hose hidden in the cups. In some cases I've used a dremel tool to gently grind through the hose ends to release them from the cups.

I've also opted to use quality fuel injection clamps on the rebuild just for ease in future removal. Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I went ahead and cut the rubber. I'm going to have to cut all the rubber, it all needs to go.

$24 an injector for ultrasonic cleaning is a small fortune though - I think I paid $10 per on the LH Jetronic injectors on the Volvo.

cheers,
scott

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
What are the symptoms of leaky hoses and seals? I just had mine flow tested, replaced all of the hoses and seals with silicon and stainless clamps, new pintle caps, cleaned the connectors (Greg G.'s shop)... Previously I had some serious idle issues. I also just replaced the fuel filter and got a great deal on a new fuel pressure regulator. The car sat for a while, and although the PO replaced all of the vacuum lines, the injectors were in terrible shape. The car won't be running again until this weekend but I'm hoping when it does the idle issues will be sorted out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts