Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess who!!! not sure if this is a fault or just characteristic of alfa but by fuel guage doesn't apper to be very accurate. if the car is parked on a hill then the fuel display can be upto a quarter of a tank wrong!!!! not too worried about this 1 just wondered if anybody knew of any faults!!!! thanks again!!! chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are 2 settings for the 156 fuel guage. Needle on Empty means fill up. Needle floating between Empty and Full means Yes, there is fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply fgtcar!! i've come to the conclusion that it was something like that!! No problems on board then just a characteristic of her!!! thanks again!! don't suppose you know anything about the engine warning light???? it come on again tonight as soon as i got on the motor way!!! I went straight upto 100mph and sat there, and on she came!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine warning light is related to input from various engine sensors.
We had our engine light go on in 04 JTS, but again, dealer plugged car in and reset under warranty. (Bad contact on oxygen sensor) They indicated the most common culprit is the oxygen sensor which gets very sensitive towards any changes including so called performance chips, non original exhausts which all effect ECU sensors. On older 156 Alfa's they said even injectors that are not functioning 100% clean can also trigger sensors and engine light.
I am still stuck in the "twin 45 webbers and set of points" era , so this 156 JTS of ours is still a learning curve !

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Fuel level

Guess who!!! not sure if this is a fault or just characteristic of alfa but by fuel guage doesn't apper to be very accurate. if the car is parked on a hill then the fuel display can be upto a quarter of a tank wrong!!!! not too worried about this 1 just wondered if anybody knew of any faults!!!! thanks again!!! chris
The fuel tank is a fairly flat basin with a lid; the gauge is activated by a float on a short lever inside the tank..
Weather the car is level or pointing up or down, the fuel in the tank is always horizontal so what's indicated on the gauge will change with the position of the lever and float. I believe this is true for any car.
Erik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts