Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay...I pulled the sender from the tank and tested it. When the float is in the upper position, the gauge reads full. As I lower the float slowly to the halfway point, the gas gauge goes to 1/2 full, but as the float moves from the halfway point to the lowest point, the fuel gauge stays at 1/2...then when the float gets to the very lowest position, the red light comes on. The odd thing is that I've gotten very different behaviors with two new senders. The first sender i bought didn't send a signal of any kind to the gauge, and the test described above didn't move the gauge's needle at all.

Next steps -- hooking the sender up to a multimeter and testing the resistance...

Next steps after that -- pulling the gauge and bringing it to the folks at Palo Alto Speedometer...

Has anyone pulled a gas gauge from a Giulia, and if so, can you shed some light on how complicated a job that is?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Have you access to another gauge for testing whether those senders are good ? Maybe you can put here a picture of your gauge to give an idea of the model ?

Thierry

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great question. No, I don't. But I could buy a cheapo gauge and wire it up to the sender and see. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Cheers,
AA

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would think you should stay within the same brand and model of gauge to be sure you can do some relevant checking.
If you can add here a picture of the gauge of your car, maybe we can follow better.
just proposing.
Thierry

·
Banned
705 Posts
A "cheapo" gauge isn't going to work. The gauges and senders are Alfa specific (or at least not cross-referenced) and the Veglia and Jaeger units are not interchangeable.

I got my sender from Classic Alfa, and it works fine. Philosophically, I'm not a fan of "plug & play" troubleshooting, but sometimes it works. You might want to buy one from them and see what happens.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Mike,

Even though the Classic Alfa item looks just like the one from Centerline, I'm tempted to try. I've ordered two from Centerline. The first one didn't send a signal of any kind to the gauge, and the second, the wonky results I'm getting now. I wonder if the original sender was as flimsy looking as the new ones...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts