Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '88 Veloce. I'm trying to track down a problem of the car cutting out. The fuel pump seemd to be making a funny noise so not sure if it is starved of just going out. I've searched the posts and found helpful info on checking the fuel pumps. However, I have found two fuel filters. One near the gas tank in the trunk and one under the car near the external pump. Is this standard or aftermarket mod ? Are there any fuel filters available over the counter from local parts stores that will work ?

Thanks - Terry

·
Registered
111 Posts
terry, I pretty sure the filter in the trunk is a band-aid approach to deal with a dirty fuel tank. bench flush your pump and get new filters to start.

·
Registered
970 Posts
A fuel filter in the trunk was not a factory item. There is a fuel filter 'sock' in the tank that fits on the bottom of the in tank pump/sending unit. If you haven't changed the sock you might want to give it a go.

Also remember to change out the short piece of fuel hose that is part of the in tank assembly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Terry, If your pump under the car is making buzzing sounds or if the car is seriouslylacking power it may be that your pump is clogged with gunk from the tank. This is probably why there is a filter in the trunk, to keep the gunk from entering your pump. also check to see if the pump in the tank is operational.

Good Luck,

Spike

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies. I plan on pulling the pump this weekend. I figured that filter in the trunk was not factory. It is attached to the line just as it comes out of the tank and tucked behind the carpet wall, near the filler tube. Thanks all, I will let you know the results. Have not heard so apparently there is no over the counter replacement for the factory filter.

Terry

·
Registered
111 Posts
fuel filters

Terry,
You can buy fuel filters over the counter, if have trouble finding one try a store that specializes in VW's or Bugs. Also, remember when you bench flush your fuel pump DO NOT RUN THE PUMP DRY, set up some hoses and a couple of jerry fuel tanks to hold the supply and return fuel. Also it would not hurt to (since the pump is off) to use an air compressor to blow out any gunk in the fuel line. Blow from the fuel pump up stream to the tank, and remove the hose in the trunk and have a helper contain any fuel or gunk which flies out, and make sure your careful this can be or will be a messy and smelly task.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts