Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GTV6 where the previous owner moved the fuel pump to AFTER the fuel filter. I have not run this car as it is in pieces. I think the previous owner mentioned replacing the fuel pump several times due to rusty fuel tank. Seems like the filter should be before the pump. Is there an issue with this arrangement? Has anybody tried this?

According to the diagram in the manuals, the fuel pump is BEFORE the fuel filter.

Anyway, I will be attempting to reinstall the fuel tank, as well as renew some of the fuel lines around the pump and filter.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,431 Posts
Fuel filter needs to be after the pump. The Bosch filter is quite fine and can cause flow problems if the pulp has to suck fuel through it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
These electric fuel pumps push, much better than they suck. There should be a fine mesh filter screen threaded into the bottom of the tank, at the outlet. This protects the pump. Anyone putting a car back on the road after it has been sitting for years, should be very concerned about what the inside of the tank looks like. I have used this with excellent results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will arrange the fuel pump and filter properly.
The previous owner has treated the gas tank. It looks pretty clean from the outside. I haven't thoroughly checked the insides.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
If you are concerned about debris from the tank, you can run a generic pre-filter before the pump in addition to a NOS factory tank strainer---this is what I did for my junkyard GTV6 as it is quite difficult to get a fuel tank properly cleaned in California due to environmental regulations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts