Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to replace the fuel lines on my 79 spider. While poking my head around, I noticed that the tank to filter line is a bit kinked or collapsed as it goes through a 90 degree bend. As best I can tell, the filter is in the factory location, so I’m having trouble understanding how a line could make this bend without collapsing. What am I misunderstanding?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The filter is in its factory location. However, that is not the original style fuel filter. The original filter on a 79 Spider would have had a angled bend built-in. This style of filter in NLA.
So now, many owners and mechanics are using the WIX 33299 filter or Napa 3299, which has straight enter and exits. Your best bet is to either go with a longer hose to eliminate the kink or find a hose that has a molded bend in it, or relocate the filter location to eliminate the bend altogether.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah - thanks. I hadn't been able to find a photo of the original filter. I was planning to relocate the filter, but wanted to understand "why" before I started assuming I was smarter than the engineers :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Put a spring inside the hose. That will keep it from collapsing. Done it many times.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,057 Posts
Or on the outside of the hose, one of the ones that look like the photo below. I had to use one of these on one of the fuel lines under the rear of the S4 to keep it from kinking when I replaced it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts