Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about taking an inch off the fuel filler neck for my 1974 GTV's fuel tank as mentioned in several forum posts. The California gas pump nozzles create problems. For those who have done this, how did you cut out the pipe -- hack saw, plumbers tubing cutter? Then what did you use as a sleeve to connect the end of the filler neck back to the tank? Does the sleeve (if rubber) have to be a gasoline-compatible material? Where did you source the sleeve from?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,882 Posts
If you're going to do this, be VERY careful how you cut it. Even a "dry" gas tank can have enough residual fuel vapor in it to cause serious injury if it's ignited by heat or sparks.

My GTV had an aftermarket Centerline gas tank in it when I got it. The filler was too high for CA gas nozzles so I was looking into cutting it down as well. If I recall correctly, Gates 24704 is the correct size to make a sleeve after removing some of the pipe (at least for the tank I had.)

I ended up replacing the tank with a proper, larger 2L one from Classic Alfa. The filler neck in this one is better oriented. I also use a gas pump nozzle key to hold back the vapor recovery neck, which GREATLY simplifies filling.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Take off 1.5 inches. I took off an inch and still have problems filling gas at the pump.

I had my body shop guy cut and weld it when he was repainting my car.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I too have sectioned 1" from the neck, did a friend's tank too. I welded the neck rather then go the hose and clamp route, a more professional and neater modification.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,882 Posts
Reminds me of a joke:

Guy is skydiving, jumps out of the plane. Pulls the ripcord, nothing happens.

Pulls the backup ripcord. Still nothing. Suddenly, against all odds, he sees a guy flying up through the air towards him! As they pass each other he shouts, "Hey! Do you know anything about parachutes?"

Other guy shouts back, "No! Do you know anything about welding gas tanks?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all this great information - the tank has been professionally cleaned, tested and sealed and is still out of the car. I will probably get the Gates sleeve and see how that goes and also get a gas nozzle key as a backup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts