Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear alfisti,

Lately I've been picking some jobs on my Spider. I built a "smoke machine" using a bit of cotton and kanthal wire (you can find examples on the internet). Using this diy tool I traced a vacuum leak down to intake air duct and the oil filler cap. Then I started chasing the fuel smell that I sometimes experience under very specific conditions (mostly in hot weather). I found the fuel filler cap to be the problem source. The smoke made clear that the cap didn’t seal air tight on the filler pipe. It turned out that my filler cap didn’t have a gasket, while I found out on this great forum that there should be a gasket in the cap. In the local part store I bought Febi 01218, which is a close enough fit for this purpose. To be sure that it stays in the cap I applied a very tiny layer of RTV.

IMG_2519.JPG

Now for the problem I am facing. The fuel filler flap won’t close any more. It always was a fight to close it (I had to open the trunk and push on the latch while with the other hand pushing down the flap), but now it has become impossible. The problem seems to be two fold: a) the flap hits the fuel filler cap and b) the entire flap assembly isn’t flush when closed (which I guess is not original).

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

I took it all apart kind of expecting to find some bodge job or missing parts, but I didn’t find something obvious. It does seem that someone has faced this problem before and tried to push the fuel neck in forcefully as the mounting is slightly pushed backwards.

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

Does anyone have some tip as to how to solve this properly?

Kind regards,

Niels

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You have 3 options: 1) move the fuel door outwards so that the contour is flush to the bodywork (the most difficult one). 2) Rework the filler neck by first detaching the welded on bracket on the filler neck, relocating it 1/4" or outwards from it's original position then re-welding it back on or 3) Slot the holes on the filler neck bracket by 1/4" or so. This will allow the whole neck to be relocated inb'd so as to gain the clearance required to the fuel cap..... M2CW.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have 3 options: 1) move the fuel door outwards so that the contour is flush to the bodywork (the most difficult one). 2) Rework the filler neck by first detaching the welded on bracket on the filler neck, relocating it 1/4" or outwards from it's original position then re-welding it back on or 3) Slot the holes on the filler neck bracket by 1/4" or so. This will allow the whole neck to be relocated inb'd so as to gain the clearance required to the fuel cap..... M2CW.
I tried today to fit the filler neck with some home made 5mm spacers. That "solves" the problem of fuel filler cap interfering with the filler flap. But, still the filler flap is hard to close (it always was). I would really like to know why this is. Could it be that I have the filler flap from an older generation Spider? Are these slightly different from the S3/S4 filler flaps?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts