Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine just goes to the tank flange behind the wheel well..Iisther a drain I can't see where water goes? I'm not concerned about gas just water from a hose or the sky.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, this is my '73 Spider ... The way I see it the hole is more than a sorta triangular GAP than a hole formed by the wheel well; quarter skin and floor.. The design is weird . The snorkel drain is positioned forward of the filler cap in the general vicinity of this hole and it could be wedged in the hole EXCEPT there is a lateral vertical rubber mat from the factory that prevents this from happening and it also covers the hole. It is impossible to feed the snorkel behind the mat to the hole. Next the hole is higher than the floor and the gas tank well flange. If I just let the water drain into the trunk .. it would take a lot of water to rise to the level of this hole so that won't work.. What am I missing?

Photo is taken with 4 hands .. one to hold the mat back and one to hold the light and two to shoot the pic .. sort of a major cluster if you know what I mean. There must have been a very flimsy flat plastic hose that snaked UNDER the mat to drip into this GAP.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
in the old IAP videos (fixing gas tank smell), it does also seem that on the spider the drain just fits into a gap, rather like you describe
this is obviously a later S3, but it sure looks like a gap, rather than a nice hole like on the GTs!
have a look here from 3:50 mins to about 4:30

you can see when he gets it out, the thing is split exactly where it goes thru that "gap"...that is where you get fuel smell (spilling whilst filling up), especially when it blocks with dirt, then the dirt soaks up the gas like a sponge

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that is completely different than my car an S2. The snorkel is the same but EVERYTHING else is different. I don't have the metal cover over the fuel tank and the bracket for the Evaporator tank is different. The hole or gap is way lower on mine and you can only feed about an inch of the snorkel in the hole. I think I have it as intended in this photo ,, Everything is sort of squished in place with the mat slightly askew and disheveled but it is the only way it works as intended. Thanks for the video.. It is pretty amazing how many different tanks and attachments were in this little corner of the car. The only thing common was gravity. Looks like a wire pinched on the wheel well helped keep the snorkel from wiggling free. Really a Rube Goldberg design.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is how it looks on a S2 spider, the 'snorkel' tube I guess is the one from the petrol (gas) tank filler. I sealed mine with silicon to keep it in place and to try to stop petrol smells back in, it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The long and short story... the PO never drove in the rain and spritzed it to wash it so never got water in the trunk .. BUT COULD HAVE the way I found it....My tank never gets filled to over flow either. He had new tank installed many years ago and the installer never relocated the drain so it was just dangling in the tank flange space...I never had any fumes ... Thanks for all the input.. The hole or gap was pretty crude where it was located.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts