Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a fuel cell. Since I'm running carbs, will I still need a surge tank?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, thanks buddy!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nader,

Some info even though my non-Alfa is a Corvair :)

I recently bought a new ATL bladder and the pickups are now built in or glued in the rear corners if you choose to also order a hose kit. Two pumps and check valves would probably let you race down to as low as only a quart or so. Believe it is going to be way better than the old Duck feet you had to position yourself.

The new standard foam is also Alchohol safe up to E85. Having been about 10 years since I had last bought a cell I thought all this pretty neat.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
some tanks have the surge tank build-in, but not everyone! so if not , you really will need one, the carbs will not hold enough fuel to cope with really long fast bends....(in my experience, but maybe i am driving too fast..)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I just bought a replacement for an old ATL cell in my Berlina. I spoke to someone at ATL to get a bit of an education. They have some nice info on their website as well. The old cell was a steel 12 gallon model, I am sure the bladder was out of date because the PO was a miserly git and the steel shell was getting rusty also. ( 5 year life on the bladders)

I ordered a new 12 gallon Aluminum cell with a surge tank inside. I am getting it from Lane Auto at a very reasonable price. I believe the aluminum version is 3-5 pounds lighter than the steel version. I have not received it yet, so I am not endorsing Lane but I will say that the price was significantly lower that I have seen in any of my racing parts supply catalogues.

Greg

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think most bladders are good for well beyond 5 years, although the foam should be replaced more regularly. If you are looking to save money on a cell, make sure you check your rules set first. Many of the cheaper cells don't have FIA certification, which your group may require.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I think most bladders are good for well beyond 5 years, although the foam should be replaced more regularly. If you are looking to save money on a cell, make sure you check your rules set first. Many of the cheaper cells don't have FIA certification, which your group may require.
I bought the ATL SP112-AL cell and it carries these approvals.
CORR, NASA, SCCA, SCORE, USAC, FIA FT3 Approved.

IMHO I think that no one ever looks at the dates on the bladders and they are probably fine long after 5 years but when I was doing a bit of research on what I should do with the deteriorating cell in my car I came across this after talking to Fuel Safe and ATL.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/1318480865__FIA_Stand_FT3_1999_tank.pdf

It was not a hell of a lot more to spend on replacing the whole thing than replacing the foam and the bladder and it is a couple of pounds lighter. Although to counter balance that I am a couple of pounds heavier since Christmas.

Greg

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Postscript: FYI. I removed the top cover on my old fuel cell after replacing it. The manufacture date on the bladder was 1995 so it was 16 years old or so. The Berlina was converted to a track / Race car starting in year 2000 or so. That means that the Phormer Owner probably had a used fuel cell installed in the car.

I am not surprised.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts