Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about selling my 79 Spider. It has been in my family since new but I have a 14 month old daughter, etc and do not have the time, space or money to bring it into proper condition. I replaced the interior a year ago (except the dash which is in great shape). I installed seats from an 82 in order to install shoulder belts. The seats were recovered. Haven't installed the shoulder belts yet. It has pretty good rust damage at all the usual spots which needs to be repaired and could use fresh paint. It also needs new front and rear bushings and the SPICA rebuilt. It runs well but you have to know the tricks when it is cold so as not to foul the plugs. Anyhow, if I do decide to sell it, any clue what the value might be?

Thanks.

BTW---I replaced the water pump, heater core, and all plumbing a few hundred miles ago.

·
Registered
702 Posts
ads no good w/o pics :(

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
It sounds similar to the daughter's car, a 1978.
Bad rust
Bad paint
Serviceable interior (Bad door panels)
Leaky heater core

I bought it on a mechanic's lien for $736 and spent around $1000 to get it road worthy.

Major expenses were:
Used Spica pump
Tires
Exhaust repair
Used heater
Head Gasket

Not yet addressed:
Rust-rockers, trunk floor, wheel wells
Paint

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, John. Actually, the interior is nice with new door panels, seat upholstery, etc. The mjor items are the rust areas, SPICA rebuild and tightenting up the front end with new bushings.

However, I may not sell it. I feel nostalgic about it since my dad bought it new in 1980 and I drove it through college. I remember driving to Yakima, WA from Bellevue, WA right after he bought it to go to the horse races. It broke down in Yakima and he actually tried to find the part in Yakima. The guy at the auto parts store actually said "An Alfa what? We got parts for Ford and Chevy." That was a long tow back to Bellevue!

·
Premium Member
21,936 Posts
Unfortunately, 1975-81 Spiders are kind of the nadir of open Alfas. I agree that's it's impossible to give a reasonable estimate without seeing pics, but will hazard a ballpark. These are not the kind of Spiders buyers are beating down the door to get at, particularly with rust and difficult Spica pumps, air pumps, and smog laws in many states. I wouldn't expect it to be worth much, like under $1,000, perhaps a lot under, depending on the extent of the rust.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Keep it and teach your daughter to drive it when she is old enough. A car like that will always have greater sentimental value than dollar value. Maintaining it will cost you, but it is not a car that you must depend on, you won't get much money for it if you sell it, and it doesn't cost you anything to keep it.

HOP

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
EZ 4 U 2 Say

Hopper's comments come from a person who bought a one-of-a-kind, special "Potlatch edition" Spider for a grand investment of $40 :p
And the cost of getting it home to Mississippi from Washington was worth it for the stories the trip generated.

Seriously, I agree that you should keep the car, because it won't cost you anything to save it until you decide to teach your daughter to drive. My daughter, who is now 25 still talks about the driving lessons she received on the Long Island (WA) peninsula, in my '87 Spider.
Your daughter's future memories and yours are worth way more than your car will sell for now.

·
Registered
890 Posts
'79 Spider

Sorry, but '79's just aren't up there in resale value. I know, I spent four years and mucho bucks on my '79 and, from what I see on Ebay and the market, I'm keeping Alfredo for a good long time! It was a labor of love and a project where I could spend quality time with my brother, so the sentimental value far outweighs the $$ value.

I have to agree with the others: keep her around and enjoy her as long as you can. Maybe someday you'll get around to fixing up that rusty stuff.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts