Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
chiuso per ferie
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got several of these in a trade and would like to sell them. These are aftermarket and seem to fit quite well. I installed one in my Spider to test the fit. I don't recommend them for use on a Roundtail Spider.

I'm asking $50 plus $5 for USPS shipping. I will donate a percentage to the BB. PM me if you are interested.

Please check out Re-Originals site. They are asking $170 for this same switch.

http://www.reoriginals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=779

Attachments

·
chiuso per ferie
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Installed

This first picture shows one installed in my Spider. Note this is a Roundtail and the extra plastic cover has been removed.

The first picture shows the aftermarket switch. The second shows the ones you would typically see on a Berlina/Spider/GTV. The last picture shows the aftermarket switch installed, but with no trim ring.

Attachments

·
chiuso per ferie
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed in a Roundtail

Here's what one looks like in a Roundtail. As you can see the extra piece of plastic trim just doesn't fit. I have a new dash with new lower pads. That could be causing the issue.

The second picture shows the an original switch. The last shows a factory replacement switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested but need some help -- I have a '73 GTV and the original has more terminals than the one shown in the picture. Do you know how to wire the new switch correctly?

·
chiuso per ferie
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested but need some help -- I have a '73 GTV and the original has more terminals than the one shown in the picture. Do you know how to wire the new switch correctly?
I don't, but I know someone that can help us out. I don't think less terminals will be an issue. Finding the correct terminals on the new one is what we need to do. I can inlist the help of a fellow BB'er. Papajam?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I don't believe all of the terminals are used on the original style anyway. I would run a relay off of the new one and run that as a secondary switch to take all the load off of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GTV Ignition Wiring

Thanks again for the quick response -- I'll keep an eye out for the "wiring answer" & will contact you this weekend regarding best way to pay/receive the ignition switch -- regards! Art

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Thanks, osso!

Art,
The new switch should be wired;

terminal #30 - red wire, unswitched hot from battery
terminal #50 - brown wire, switched hot to fusebox
terminal #15 - black wire, to starter solenoid

terminals 30/1 and INT will not be used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
'73 GTV Ignition Switch

Osso -- thanks for providing the part & the getting papajam's help on the new wiring. While I've bought quite a bit over ebay, this is my first purchase over the alfa BB. Please let me know the customary practice, and I will proceed accordingly.

Happy to send a check to you (just need name and address) and wait for the part after everything has cleared.

Thanks -- Art

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
UPDATE!!

After a few phone calls with Art and doing a bit of diagnostics, the previously mentioned wiring hook up I posted will NOT work (so much for DIN terminal number designations :rolleyes:). It seems that these replacement switches have different internal contacts/connections. This particular switch needs to be wired thus;

unswitched hot input to 1 of the 2 INT terminals
fabricate a jumper wire from the 2nd INT terminal to terminal #30/1
switched output to terminal #15
starter wire to terminal #50
terminal #30 is not used

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
These look like the same exact switches that IAP is selling for replacements on 79 ish vintage spiders. I tried numerous different combinations, and Carl at IAP informed me that the switch (a reworked Fiat switch) needs power to BOTH terminals marked 30. The terminal 50 was the cranking as I remember, and the other was to power up the #6 terminal of the fuse box which takes care of the fuel pumps and such. I think the key is supply 12v to both the 30 terminals, or you will get power on to half the system, and not the rest. Hope they work, and for all its worth, the switches (if they are they same as I suspect) as smooth and very reliable.
Pete

·
Registered
271 Posts
The switch I bought from Ossodiseppia with his helpful wiring instructions works out great. Original switches for 69s are unavailable, so I am extremely grateful for this offering from Osso. The plastic ring/bezel did not fit the new switch, but only a futzy concourse judge would mind. Thanks, Brian.

Barry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts