Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: Ad changed to give more specifics.

1991 Alfa 164S VIN # ZAREA33E6M6229643

24200 original miles. 1 Owner

Red with charcoal trim.

$15,000 neg.

Everything on the car is original except:

Tires recently replaced with Pirelli P6's (originally were P4000, no longer made)

1 wheel, which was slightly damaged, was replaced with a new, original equipment, wheel. (The original will be included as a spare, it is still usable)

Muffler replaced in 2005 by Algar - original equipment.

Gas filler recall completed.

No other work has been done to the car other than normal periodic service.

All equipment on the car works as new. Recent PA inspection.

I have kept the the car garaged and coverd always. The car has never been in winter weather. In fact, it has only been in the rain about 3 times.

Extras to be included with the car:

Printed 3 vol. shop manaul
Red car cover - good quality, slightly sun faded (better than faded paint!)
Custom front window sun shield.
Custom 2 piece bra
New set of factory carpets (as well as the ones in the car are in good condition)
Custom set of leather log books
Original paperwork, sales brochures, road tests, and other memorabilia.

In 1994, my brother and I drove the car in "One Lap of America".
This is a 6 day tour that stops at various race tracks (Walkens Glen, Michigan International, Lime Rock, etc...) where 2 times laps are run for score. The car was run totally stock and we finished 43rd overall. Photos of this event included.

Also included will be a copy of Keith Martin's video "Alfa Romeo Spotter's Guide" which features this car (as well as a lot of other great Alfas)

I bought my 164 as a collector car and ahve used it only for fine weather driving.
Three kids in college forces sale.

Call number below (don't want scripts getting my number) if you want to take a look at it, ask for Tony.
Home

Cell:

Now on to the pictures.

As last year (SCCA track day, invited by family (uncle) only other race day it has gone through (not a season race car), but that's what these cars love to do anyway!)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not at the moment. It is clean, still has a new car smell, leather is still stiff. I'll see if I can get some pictures soon.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Also included will be a copy of Keith Martin's video "Alfa Romeo Spotter's Guide" which features this car (as well as a lot of other great Alfas)
including my '84 Spider! :) (Sorry about the hijack, but I just couldn't resist...)

This car is in a different league than most of the same model that come to market. Thus, it will only attract serious interest from a much smaller pool of buyers, but such a buyer will eventually step forward. Patience is a virtue in this case...

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
There is a very small market for perfect vehicles, even though such prices are in line with what it would cost to buy a less than perfect example and make it perfect. Those few that do sell for top dollar seem to be the 24V Q models, as they have a special rarity in production numbers. If interest ever rekindles in the 12V cars, then this one will be a top prospect. It just takes finding a buyer who is interested in perfect and has the money to buy it. You will find someone interested, but it will likely take most of a year for that special buyer to realize he really wants your car. You should count yourself fortunate if you and he get together before late summer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, but that is just like saying people want the R32 over a GTI because of the limited production models, which, according to VW's sales numbers, is certainly not true.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Actually people want the 24V over the 12V because of the power, rarity is definetly secondary in my opinion. That said your car is really nice, from the pics probably the nicest 12V I've seen. Interest at this price will probably come from outside the bb in my opinion since so many of us like to find the deals and will take a diamond in the rough and polish it up.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Certainly the underlying car must be a desirable model to command a high price. The rarity issue comes as a supply vs. demand thing and the perceived value (both now and when the time comes for eventual re-sale). The S is a lovely car, and I'd generally prefer it over the Q for my purposes. But I've never driven a 24V car, let alone a Q. The bells and whistles of the S/Q are technically interesting for me, but I'd _never_ have paid the up-front money for a new one. Unless I had that amount of money when car-shopping, which has not yet occurred. Sort of the same argument applies for your car. You will get your price only from someone who is willing to spend that money for a 16 yr old car which is not in broad classic demand. I wish you well. And the car must be a real pleasure to drive. Enjoy it while you have it.

My opinions only.

Michael

·
Premium Member
15,538 Posts
Too bad the car isn't in the NW, many owners here who would appreciate it, including me. I paid about $16k for my S with 40k miles on it back in 94. Would consider buying this one to replace the one I have if it was a local car. Nothing like starting over with a newer condition unusually low mileage S. Sigh.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Too bad the car isn't in the NW, many owners here who would appreciate it, including me.
Same here. In reality, for a car like this, the distance shouldn't really be a problem. If a person is looking for a low mileage S (or any specialty car for that matter), a serious buyer understands that travel and shipping will likely be involved in a transaction. (I'm not implying your not serious, just stating that anyone who really wants a car like this is not going to let distance be an issue). I've traveled several times to get cars and will likely do it again - especially when I buy my next "fun" car.

That will definitely take a special buyer but they are out there, it just takes a little time. I'm not sure if ebay is they way to go with something like this but at least it's a very good place to advertise (much more foot traffic). It may not really sell there but you may flush out a buyer that may approach you after the auction (especially if you have it advertised other places as well).

It's a beautiful car (the only thing I see wrong with it is that it's not white ;) ). Give it a little time and I'm sure your find the right buyer.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Airlines publish weekly "internet specials", which make it very affordable to fly roundtrip anywhere in the U.S., on short notice. Also, one can get an equally good deal by booking a flight several weeks in advance.

On a separate note... I am having custom sheepskins made for my Q, at a PA outfit, and need to drive past the area (based on the phone area code) where this car is located. If anyone is serious about purchasing this vehicle, I will be glad to look at it in person. (I am very familiar with the S as well, and currently own one that I acquired from a BB member in CA. I don't have it in my signature because it is destined for someone in my family.) I haven't decided which day I'll be driving out, but it should be anywhere between this Thursday and next week, but it will be on a weekday, and not the weekend since I am driving to a business.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
15,538 Posts
Nuts, I already spent a month back in New England this fall on vacation, but wintertime is just not a good time to fly or drive to the east from Seattle, witness all the storms across the country. I've driven Alfas across the country in the winter, not fun if you are unlucky.

My problem is that I already have one S and an LS, as well as an 89 Milano, so the incentive to buy this one is not quite as high as it would be if I was Alfaless. If the car was here, I'd probably convince my wife we needed it, since we could look at it and drive it. That usually clinches the deal. That **** Alfa grin!!

Please don't tempt me with one way airfares, please...

Enrique, please don't tell me when you are going to look at the car, please... well, I suppose you could tell me what you find, if you get the time.

Later:

Ha, she did say, "hmmmm", when I mentioned it, and that it was in SE PA, "ah, there's always a catch".

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The car was originally posted for sale here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/9454-feeler-91-164-s.html

back in early 2005. Nice car and it is really hard to find low mileage 164's. I am just wondering how people compare 164's with GTV6's? There were several low mileage (<20,000 miles) GTV6's which recently sold for less than $11,000. I would think that a similar condition 164 would be lower on the scale of Alfa desirability than a GTV6.

·
Premium Member
15,538 Posts
Well, I owned a cherry 86 GTV6 which ran really really well (well enough that the dealer bought it back from me for his kid) which was replaced by the 91S; and I tell you, my Alfa grin was much wider with the S, mostly because of the engine. Yes, I know the S doesn't handle quite as well as the GTV6 or Milano, but the engine sold me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts