Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1986 Callaway Twin Turbo Alfa Romeo GTV6 1 of 33 made. Approx. 5000 mi. on rebuilt motor & turbos, new clutch all new flex joints (Donuts) most other components replaced (Brakes, master brake & clutch slave cylinders, brake booster, mechanical tensioner, O2 sensor, battery etc.) Re-painted, Black Base coat clear coat. Excellent condition Interior black cloth & leather. Has many performance items such as Modified ECU, Shankle super sport suspension, Koni shocks, Oil cooler, K&N air filter, some head work done larger s.s. valves installed, Ansa exhaust & Euro down pipes, Cross-drilled brake rotors, and more, Kenwood cd, am, fm stereo, Maratona ground effects kit & Callaway wing, 17” Etoile 3 piece wheels. Newer tires Very clean & well taken care of car always garage kept.
Complete list of parts & work done available on request, have all receipts.
Currently entertaining offers of $20,000 and up.
Cars location New Port Richey, Florida (Near Tampa Area)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interested. Please send more info regarding work done and parts installed. How much total mileage is there on this car.

My email is [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from ya.

EDIT: I am currently having problems with my email. I will send you a PM.

S

·
0 Posts
Just beautiful!

Is the body kit a Callaway item? It's one of the nicest I've seen, especially with regard to the wheel arches and the rear spoiler.

I would love to find a rear spoiler exactly like that.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The body kit is not a Callaway item it is from a Maratona GTV6, I believe the body kits can still be purchased from Autovolante (autovolante.tripod.com) (305) 266-0810.
The wing was a Callaway option, not sure if anyone makes them anymore you could ask Autovolante or contact John Picot at (727) 787-0249 he also had some a long time ago.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Your Callaway looks great. Sure hope you find the right buyer for the very unique example of Alfa history.

Like Dave, I'm interested in locating a Callaway rear wing (I contacted John P. about a year ago concerning the wing without any luck). Anyone know of a current source for rear spoiler wing?

Thanks,

S

·
0 Posts
Who did the modification of the bumpers? I'd love to know the process of modification.

With only 35k, and in what appears to be mint condition, I hope you won't settle for less than $30k. In ten years, it's probably worth $60k. JMO, of course.

Thanks David

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
David, The bumpers are actually stock unmodified bumpers. What is modified is the way they attach to the body. Various bits of hardware are removed and the bumpers themselves are moved closer to the body. It's not a huge undertaking, however it doesn't save more than about 15 pounds (the stock bumpers are aluminum and are very light and the components that are removed don't weigh much either). Obviously it greatly reduces the bumpers effectiveness, but a lot of people like the more European look this mod gives.

As Macgyvertech mentioned, the body kit is a 1984 Maratona kit less of course the Maratona hood piece because this car has the Callaway hood scoop in place. The Maratona pieces are the front lower spoiler, side skirts, and fender arches. While I like the way the Maratona kit looks, some people don't like it. When it's not on a 1984 car it really doesn't help value.

The hood scoop was a standard Callaway item, the rear spoiler was a Callaway option, and the side vents in the hood were added at some point in the cars life, probably to reduce the relatively high underhood temps.

While I think the car looks great, the purists out there don't like anything that doesn't look like it came on the car when it was initially purchased, so the various mods don't really help the value.

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore

S

·
0 Posts
Puritanically Alfa

David, the purists out there don't like anything that doesn't look like it came on the car when it was initially purchased, so the various mods don't really help the value.

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore
Well, Greg, it's a good thing I'm not renovating my GTV-6 for the purists then, isn't it! Smile.

Thanks for the info, Greg. Are you saying purists will reject the Callaway, and hence its value is stagnant? I thought Callaway was a highly desired model, and "Alfa Approved"?

I'm using my own sense of style and direction in renovating my GTV-6 and while obviously those decisions won't be for everyone, they will help me to enjoy my Alfa for many moons to come, I'm sure. To hell with the purists.

David
(in good fun)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Purists don't reject the Callaway at all. The fact that it was an Alfa sanctioned special edition with real power makes it that much more special. It was much more expensive when new, and it is still much more expensive than a normal GTV6. No matter what, it will always be a rare vehicle. Nonetheless, a 100 point car will always be more valuable than one that cannot achieve the same number of points. Mods inside the engine are undetectable, but modifying the body does typically lower the value of the car. Collectors will pay top dollar for a historically correct car, but not for one that isn't so. Hence, it's always a paradoxical struggle: spend money on upgrades that make the car more enjoyable and drive it, or leave it alone 'cause you don't want it to depreciate. This is a beautiful car, but serious buyers will more than likely examine the mods very closely.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Very beautiful car. Thanks for making this very hard, lol.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
David, Enrique, Allow me to clarify what I said. I think the Callaways are the most valuable of all GTV6s, and I didn't say anything that would contradict that. What I said was "the purists out there don't like anything that doesn't look like it came on the car when it was initially purchased". The Callaway conversion does not fit that catagory, it was sanctioned by Alfa, available through the Alfa dealer network and done when the car was new.

This specific Callaway has various mods that do not fit that category, and those mods probably make the car a little less desirable from the purist perspective.

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
David, Enrique, Allow me to clarify what I said. I think the Callaways are the most valuable of all GTV6s, and I didn't say anything that would contradict that. What I said was "the purists out there don't like anything that doesn't look like it came on the car when it was initially purchased". The Callaway conversion does not fit that catagory, it was sanctioned by Alfa, available through the Alfa dealer network and done when the car was new.

This specific Callaway has various mods that do not fit that category, and those mods probably make the car a little less desirable from the purist perspective.

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore
Greg,
Yes, I agree 100% with your observations.

Best regards,

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Greg.

What surprised me was the lack of leather upholstery. Don't get me wrong, I have the pinstriped velour also, and though I have yet to actually see my vehicle, from everything I've seen and heard it's well adapted to the job. I just would have expected leather seating in the Callaways, that's all.

It looks like the "changes" made here can be easily removed, hence I don't see that as a detractor. Since you mentioned the Maratona Kit, Greg, I will say that I don't care for the wheel arches of the kit, but on a black edition it is far less detracting, and so I really like the way this Callaway looks, whether it's 100 points or 90 points in the Purist's Catalog (smile).

If bought for $20k I think it's an absolute steal.

David
(hardly an expert)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I don't know if any 1986 cars were built with leather upholstery, every one I have seen have been just like this one.

I really like this Callaway, and I agree the mods could be reversed. However I don't know if the Maratona kit will be easy to remove, it all depends on why the kit was put on in the first place and what's behind it. I would have to look at the car closely to determine this.

Greg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts