1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just looking around and spotted these two:

1966 Alfa Romeo TI

1969 alfa romeo berlina

Has anyone looked at either of these? Buying another car is the last thing I should be thinking of, and $3K looks like all the money for a resurrection project TI, but...

Needless to say, not my cars. I would have featured them on my blog, but I like my sub-$3K Italian cars running *and* driving, thank you very much :p

·
Premium Member
23,507 Posts
Don't know the TI (is it column shift?), but the Berlina I think belongs to one of Dirk's guys and has been for sale off and on for years/months. It's on SF CL too.
Andrew

·
Registered
106 Posts
So if someone really wanted a Giulia Super but came across an ok Berlina should he just go ahead and buy it?

Doug

·
Premium Member
23,507 Posts
Not sure if you're kidding or not. As similar as the Giulia and Berlina chassis are, the cars end up having a very different feel, esp if the Berlina is a US-market car with Spica. I bought my first Berlina in 1995 when I couldn't find a Super to replace my regrettably sold TI, and was pleasantly suprised by the Berlina. But they are different. Great power delivery with Spica, very smooth, good quiet freeway cars. But in stock condition you can't throw a Berlina around in the same way as a Giulia. The increased wheelbase and weight seem to make a noticeably different feel that is hard to quantify. If I did a lot of fast freeway driving I would prefer a Berlina. For mountain roads and weekend driving I'll take a Giulia. Each has its appeal.
Andrew

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm kidding either. I love the Giulia. But the affordable driver condition ones seem to have gone extinct. On paper Berlinas are so similar, but to me they are quite nondescript, and the conventional wisdom says they lost the sporty feel of the Giulias. But here's one for sale right in my backyard.

Doug

·
Premium Member
23,507 Posts
Feel is totally different, yes, suprisingly. But as I say, go out and thrash a good Berlina at high speed and you'll see their appeal.
My rule of thumb is a Berlina is worth half a Giulia in the same condition, so you can get in for a lot less money. Berlina values are getting dragged up by Giulia values, so if you buy reasonably and/or can do your own work, you can own a car for a few years and not lose any money. And be ready to pounce on a Giulia when the right one comes along.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Well, I made the trek to Fresno and picked up the Giulia Ti. What a car! 80K original miles, black plates, one owner, 100% complete, perfect floors, never been hit, original Carello center fog lights. This is going to be an easy car to restore. The seller also threw in a mildly built 2L motor and gearbox (don't worry, it'll remain a 1600). There is one small spot of rust under the passenger rear door. Other than that, its clean as can be! If this car was in Los Angeles or the San Francisco area it wouldn't have lasted a day.

·
Premium Member
23,507 Posts
Excellent, congrats. Lots of silly comments about this car on BaT. Street car? Race car?
See other thread for my acquisition today.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Congrats, Anthony! So Cal NEEDS a restored TI!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Excellent, congrats. Lots of silly comments about this car on BaT. Street car? Race car?
See other thread for my acquisition today.
Andrew
Yeah, it turned out to be nicer than it appeared to be on BaT and Craigslist. Sometimes you just gotta take your chances and go with the gamble. I lucked out on this one. I'm also really happy to have found the Carrello fog lights in the trunk. I haven't seen a set of those in at least 10 years. Attached is an image of a restored Super in the same color. Looks really nice when shiny. Anyone have a color code for it?

Congrats, Anthony! So Cal NEEDS a restored TI!
I couldn't agree more!

·
Premium Member
23,507 Posts
My 1300 TI was acqua di fonte but it's on its way to Michigan now so I can't check the paint code on the trunk lid, which I recollect was there. I can give you the new owner's phone number if you want to call him.
Andrew

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was pulling my hair out reading the comments on BaT about this car. I knew it was at *worst* a fair price for a project TI, and at best a sweet deal for a diamond in the rough. I think you split the difference there, or better considering the 2L thrown in. Anyway it looks good and I'm glad it'll be back on the road.

If it's original to the car, the ZHR license plate speaks to a (very) late 60s CA reg. I'd guess it started its US life in some other state.

Do you have plans for the 2L + trans? PM me if you're interested in selling.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I was pulling my hair out reading the comments on BaT about this car. I knew it was at *worst* a fair price for a project TI, and at best a sweet deal for a diamond in the rough. I think you split the difference there, or better considering the 2L thrown in. Anyway it looks good and I'm glad it'll be back on the road.

If it's original to the car, the ZHR license plate speaks to a (very) late 60s CA reg. I'd guess it started its US life in some other state.

Do you have plans for the 2L + trans? PM me if you're interested in selling.
The car was originally sold in CA and then owner moved out of state for a couple years and then back again.

I can never have too engine and transmission cores. One day, they'll be hard to find.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The peanut gallery on BaT can really be a bunch of yutzes. They ripped my 74 Spider to pieces over the color, repainted in the original Canary Yellow, and the wheels, which were extremely rare 15x7" Italian made OZ 5-spokes. Apparently only Panasports or Cromodoras are acceptable. The guy that bought it was sure happy with it, though. I have to wonder if most of those guys even have any sort of vintage car - most sure don't seem to have the guts to actually "Bring a Trailer", like you did.

Congrats - looks like a great project, for sure.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet, glad to see someone who'll do something with it picked it up! Looks like a good deal, wish I'd had the time & money to act, as many others probably do. One of these days I'll get my hands on a car that actually has market value.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
23,507 Posts
Didn't see that car when I was in LA but I did stop by Anthony's shop and man do they have a lot of Giulia sedans around, including the Fresno. It's great.

Andrew

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally contacted the guy about the Berlina, his reply was concise:

"it has a new 2ltr with spica out of the car it has a non op small rust spot in trunk"

I can't afford to go down to LA for a non-runner, esp. for $3K, but maybe someone else can use that info.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts