Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my '86 Graduate. It's red with black int, top. This is a very nice original car. It has around 80K miles. It was garaged all it's life, so it still has it's original (nice) paint and no rust. It's not been hit and runs very well. The top was replaced in 2000, the tires last year. The driver's seat has some small tears starting on the seat bottom and it needs a door check strap. Otherwise, the original interior is very nice. The price is $3000.

So, why so cheap when everyone else wants twice as much for an equal car? It has one small aggravating problem - it sometimes jumps out of reverse gear, and i'm to blame for that problem.

I've worked in a Jag rest. shop for almost 30 years and I always liked the Alfas. I felt a little uncomfortable driving one of my old Jags knowing that it's worth half the cost of my home, so last year I bought this Alfa as a fun summer car. I searched through some good looking cars that were hiding a lot of uglyness under that fresh paint (can you say "lipstick on a pig?"), until I found this really good one. I drove this for a year without a problem, until one day I destroyed the transmission. Why they put reverse below 5th gear is a mystery to this old British car owner. Anyway, I bought a parts car that was hit when it was 2 years old with 20K miles. I switched transmissions without opening up the donor trans - just seals, T.O. bearing, fluids, checked the clutch (still good - must have been replaced). After it was all back together, I found out it jumps out of reverse. There are a lot of words to describe how I felt, but MAD is the only "G" rated one. The donor car transmission was put in reverse sometime in the '80's and after sitting for almost 20 years, the spring and ball detent that holds it in that gear were compressed and it lost it's "locking in gear" action. Such an easy test and repair - the springs and balls are under a little plate on the trans top. Now that it's in the car, I almost have to drop everything out of the car again to get at it. I just gave up and bought an MGB.

So, now's your chance to get a really nice Alfa at not to high a price that can be driven "as is", as long as you hold it in reverse. All the forward gears are fine. I also pulled a bunch of parts from the parts car that I thought I might need someday. They all go with the car. I have some photos of the Alfa somewhere in my computer that I can send you. But then, they all look good on a tiny digital photo. It's best to come, look, drive.

I'm not to keen on the internet - I don't go to sites like this very often, so leaving messages in my "in box" is not the best way to get through to me. Send me a email directly to phil19564(AT)1usa(DOT)com. It'll take a day or two to get through my spam filter and I don't go on line too often. You can also call me at 610-562-4878 eve. I don't have an answering machine either, so keep trying. I'm In S.E. PA, (Virginville). You can find it on one of those internet map searches.

Because I work at a Jaguar shop and have some myself, I will trade this Alfa for a Jag parts car or parts from the 50's, 60's, and early 70's. Heck, i'll even use this as a down payment on an expensive nice Jag.

Anyway, if you're interested, get in touch. Be forwarned, i'm very hard to contact sometimes - I guess it's the hermit in me.

Thanks for looking,
Phil Wright

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would the guy that called me with the XKE parts to trade for my Alfa, please call me back. I am very interested in your parts.

Thanks, Phil.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good looking Spider! My first was an '85 that I bought with the same popping out of reverse thing. Not a big deal as I just kept my hand on it and told valet drivers, etc. to do so whenever it needed to go into reverse.

The rest of the car looks nice and I'm sure someone will happily enjoy the car at your asking price.

Of course, being car guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's curious to see pics of your Jag....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hello Phil,
Is the Alfa still available as of 19 Oct?
vf31rhill 901-606-2362

1 - 7 of 7 Posts