Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my beautiful white 74 Spider listed on eBay. Below is the full text of the description. On ebay the item number is: 290226267861

eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo : Spider (item 290226267861 end time May-04-08 17:49:19 PDT)

76,000 ORIGINAL miles, rust-free, third owner with documentation and maintenance records from new, wearing original paint! 1974 is the last year for what many consider the “classic” and desirable Alfa Romeo’s, with the unobtrusive stainless steel bumpers, lower ride height, lower weight, etc. This Spider Veloce was purchased new in 1975 as a retirement gift, and yes, the green serpent Alfa logo you see on the hood was in place when delivered new to the original owner. The car was purchased by the second owner in 1998, who lived in Newport Beach, CA, and the car had about 35,000 miles at the time, which service records verify. The second owner spent approximately $27,000 on upgrading the car, and receipts for the work are included! The list of new parts and upgrades is extensive, including:

The engine was completely rebuilt, high compression pistons and performance cams were installed, the SPICA fuel injection pump was rebuilt by Wes Ingram, and many other mechanical items such as fuel pump and so forth were either replaced or refurbished. The car has substantially more power than stock (especially above 3500 rpm), yet is perfectly drivable for daily use. Suspension components were upgraded to high performance standards (Ward & Dean) including springs, adjustable Bilstein gas shocks, etc. Even a removable roll bar and Simpson racing belts were installed!

I then purchased the car from the second owner in early 2005 when it had about 72,000 miles. In my ownership she has been carefully maintained at Alfa Performance Connection, owned by Stewart Sandeman, who is also technical editor for post-war Alfa’s for the Alfa Romeo Owner’s Club (the second owner also had work performed at this facility). I have put relatively few miles on the car, mostly going to events such as the Concorso Italiano in Monterey, CA, as well as other Alfa club and Italian car outings. Now it’s time for the car to find a new owner as I have another Alfa in the restoration process. The car is ready to be driven anywhere!

This car purrs like a kitten at idle (I believe Magnaflow muffler is installed) but will absolutely scream when you punch the throttle, so hang on! The transmission works like it should and does not grind in any gears, and the clutch operates as it should. It goes around corners with virtually no lean as if it were on rails, and even more importantly the brakes work perfectly and will stop you on a dime. The alignment is perfect with the car tracking straight down the road like it should. The Yokohama AVS tires have good tread remaining, and the original aluminum Alfa Turbina-style wheels were powder coated for durability.

Both bumpers are in great condition, all stainless and chrome trim is in great shape too. Carello headlight covers are also installed and the original headlights have been upgraded with Halogen H4’s. The vinyl top fits well, is watertight and in fair condition with some of the inside lining showing wear and 1-inch tear in the outer lining on the driver’s side, but the rear plastic window nice and clear, and there is a boot cover included as well. The interior is in excellent shape, but there are two small cracks on the dash from the base of the windshield to the heater vents. The seats are like new and the rubber mats look great although there are some spots that have split. All gauges, lights and accessories work, even the map light embedded in the rearview mirror works, as well as the glovebox, trunk and hood lights! The original Alfa wooden steering wheel looks great, as does a wooden gear shift knob.

No corrosion of any significance can be found on the car, it's very solid all around. Notice the photo of one of the jack points, and the photo of the trunk and the spare tire compartment and how rust-free the area is; and yes there is a spare, trunk mat, jack and tool kit included. I was also told the car still wears its original paint! The belly pan area under the front bumper does show some scars from road debris and so forth, but unless you are on the ground looking under the front of the car, you would never notice.

Please view the pictures carefully and if you have further questions or would like additional pictures be sure to ask before you bid. I also have a short video/audio clip of the car's engine running that I can email to anyone who asks. I’ve owned many Alfa’s over the years and am in the midst of restoring another, so unfortunately it’s time for this wonderful Spider to find a new home with another Alfa fanatic. There's no way this car could be replicated for even double the reserve, so bid with confidence!

--------------

Also, just added to my eBay listing as of the evening of April 29, a very comprehensive list of prior work that was performed. However, the formatting on eBay makes it difficult to read, so let's see if it works any better here...

I have had questions about what specific maintenance work and upgrades were done to the car. I have spent a LOT of time transcribing the Repair Orders into a list I posted below. Keep in mind that I still had to leave a lot of little stuff out or else I'd have been typing for days. Most of the work was performed at the shops listed along the top, but some invoices didn't have the shop name so I can't be sure who did the work. Also, sometimes the mileage was not noted, but you can still follow the mileage trail quite easily. I also believe a work order or two is missing from the last few years regarding some typical stuff like oil changes, etc. Enjoy...

Alfa Performance Connection
Auto Scientific
Santo's Italian Car Service
Porterfield Enterprises
DDK Motors
Evanspeed
Cosmo's Sports Car Repair
DDK Motors
Wes Ingram Enterprises

dec 07 - 74,341 miles
new heater valve
new muffler.

sep 07 - 74,227 miles
new battery terminals
change oil and filer.

aug 05 - 71,996
new exhaust gasket
timing adjusted
injection idle tubes cleared out
adjust fuel mixture and injection linkage.

april 05 - 71,570
new fuel pump and filter.

dec 04 - 70,700
change oil and filter
check all fluid levels and top off.

jun 04 -
bought new brake pads.

oct 03 - 67938
dynotune - 128 hp to rear wheels! (about 150hp from engine!).

aug 04 -
new magna flow muffler.

aug 03 - 67231
service air cleaner assembly
new fuel lines
adjust ignition timing.

aug 03 -
rebuild spica fuel injection pump.

jul 03 - 66,164
replace spica pump
replace spark plugs.

mar 03 - 65,904
new bosch alternator.

feb 03 - 65,737
new voltage regulator.

jan 03 -
new fuel filter.

oct 02 - 63,433
rebuild engine block, including new...
motor mounts
timing chain
engine gasket set
set pistons
main bearing
rod bearing
fuel and oil filter
oil and filter
trans seals
crank plugs
spark plugs
points.

jun 02 -
replace starter.

sep 02 - 58,473
alignment
cams -
284 deg 245 @.050
408 lift
.008 - .009 intake
.009 - .010 exhaust
102 L/C
ignition timing -
24 BTDC idle
48 BTDC @5000 rpm
rebuild cylinder head
replace guides
valve springs
new water pump
new crank seal
new thermo actuator
set ignition and distributor
replace strut bushings
tighten backing plates in rear axle
flush radiator.

aug 01 - 57,907
oil and filer.

apr 01 - 56,338
new yokohama avs tires, 20k mile warranty.

apr 01 - 55,990
replace plugs
adjust fuel
set timing.

mar 01 - 55,717
replace speedo gauge and check cable.

feb 01 - 55,460
new clutch slave cylinder
new fuel shut off solenoid
brake fluid.

jan 01 - 54,870
new interstate battery.

jan 01 - 54,823
new exhaust flange gaskets
new clutch master cylinder.

nov 00 - 53,960
oil and filer change
radio resistor
new voltage regulator.

oct 00 -
new brake pads fr and rear.

aug 00 - 52,064
replace fuel lines and filter
check valve clearance
replace exhaust gaskets
rear crank seal
new distributor cap
new dist. rotor.

jul 00 - 52,000
change oil and filter
compression check.

apr 00 -
replace trans mount
new brake master cylinder
oil and filter change
ignition timing
new spica fuel injection pump installed.

mar 00 - 48,000
oil and filter
new plugs, points, condensor
trans oil.

jul 99 - 44,725
check fuel injection
adjust link and fuel mix to pass smog test.

jun 99 -
new top boot
adjust fuel mixture for smog.

apr 99 - 41,765
remanufactured driveshaft
2 new U joints
redesigned throttle pedal
lube, oil and filter
safety check.

mar 99 - 40,845
mount mirrors
lengthen limit straps
alignment
new front suspension, including...
adj upper control arms
lower cont arm cups
lower cont are caps
lower a arm bushings
lower ball joints
caster rod ball joints
inner tie rod ends
outer large tie rod ends
4 bilstein adj shocks
sway bar bushings
sway bar link bushings
new rear suspension, including...
performatek trunion bushings
rear trailing arm bushings
front trailing arm bushings (polyurethane)
front fuel filter
extended limit straps
sway bar bushings and link bushings.

oct 98 -
door limit strap
trunk cable
hood cable
injection belt
crank seal
crank pulley
rear muffler
inj pump oil filer
main fuel filter
rear axle bearings
rear axle seals
bearing retainers
installed new brake pads
4 rims and tires.

sep 08 - 35,669
water temp sensor
door limit strap
3 brake hoses
brake fluid
brake adaptor
header coating
2 new cam shafts
exhaust gaskets
oil and filter
air filter
drill two fr brake rotors
two front axle seals
2 wheel bearings
2 strut bushing
polish cam cover
plate hardware.

aug 08 - 35,401
r & r fuel inj pump
replace micro switch.

jul 08 -
r & r starter.

jun 98 - 34,069
bought new brake pads
new antenna cable
new sun visors
new heater valve
fix reverse light wires
heater switch wiring.

jun 98 - 33,074
replace sway bar
oil sump guard
dip stick
oil and filter
front and rear brake pads
brake fluid
replace thermostat.

apr 98 -
simpson racing style seat belts.

mar 08 - 30,535
full detail
replace heater valve.

mar 08 - 30,412
new leather shift boot
replace bent heater cable and bracket.

feb 98 - 29,656
new gear shift knob
new fan switch
new wiper blades
major service
adj cam timing to euro spec
front brake pads
adj fuel pressure and check gauge
modify fuel return at injector
clean ground connections
tank fuel filter
brake fluid, coolant, gaskets
oil and filter
points and condensor
air box straps
air filters
throttle end
lodge spark plugs
replace clutch assembly
r & r speedo and tach
install h4 headlights
install headlight bubbles
r&r radiator
replace alternator belt
replace hoses
mount/balance install tires
powder coat wheels
4 yokohama tires.

----------------------------

original owner

jan 85 -
hazard switch
air filters
engine oil and filter
injector pump oil filter
fuel filter fr and rear
coolant
spark plugs
cap, rotor, points, cond.

eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo : Spider (item 290226267861 end time May-04-08 17:49:19 PDT)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
more photos and short video w/audio of car running...

Just a reminder that if anyone is seriously interested in purchasing the car and would like additional photos, just let me know. Examples of additional photos are below. thanks...

As of May 17, 2008 this terrific Alfa is still for sale even though the eBay listing has expired. Considering it's a documented 3 owner car, has no rust, has low orig mileage of only 76,000, and I have DOCUMENTED recepits from the last 10 years totaling about $27,000 in performance upgrades and maint, I think the car is easily worth my eBay reserve of $13,900. I have a Duetto in the midst of restoration and would therefore like to thin my herd a bit, so if you are interested let me know or feel free to make me an offer. Let me know if you'd like more photos. Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
74 Spider still FS. Drives and looks GREAT! Much invested!

Just a note to let everyone know this car is still for sale. I drove it this weekend and was reminded of how terrific it performs and how great it looks! My reserve on the eBay auction was $13,900, which I think is quite reasonable considering the cars condition. If anyone wants additional info of photos, let me know. Thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
74 Spider eBay auction over, car still for sale...

Just a reminder that if anyone is seriously interested in purchasing the car and would like additional photos, just let me know. Examples of additional photos are below. thanks...

As of May 17, 2008 this terrific Alfa is still for sale even though the eBay listing has expired. Considering it's a documented 3 owner car, has no rust, has low orig mileage of only 76,000, and I have DOCUMENTED recepits from the last 10 years totaling about $27,000 in performance upgrades and maint, I think the car is easily worth my eBay reserve of $13,900. I have a Duetto in the midst of restoration and would therefore like to thin my herd a bit, so if you are interested let me know or feel free to make me an offer. Let me know if you'd like more photos. Thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
74 Spider for sale...

I have an ad coming out for my 74 Spider in the next issue of the Alfa Owner. The car is still available, quietly awaiting its new owner. I've had some serious interest in the car and some offers, but no final deals yet. Feel free to let me know if you have additional questions or need more photos. Thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right, the price is low! And you are also correct that it's a GREAT car with a LOT of money having been spent on professionally done upgrades. It's worth quite a bit more, but I suppose it's only worth what the market says it's worth at any given time. I don't really want or need to sell, it's really a matter of storage, and besides I'll soon have a finished Duetto to use as well. So, I suppose if it sells at this price (and I won't come down much from this price) and makes another Alfa fan happy, such is life. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quick update...since i took the photos that are posted, i've had the black side mouldings removed and the area was professionally repainted. i also had the belly pan area repainted (which had a scrape or two and some rock chips) and the leading edge of the nose (where there were a few stone chips). any dimples and blemishes were also removed. therefore, those minor faults that i referrred to in my posting are no longer a concern. the body is now cosmetically that much better and has added value, and it also now looks like alfa intended it to look...w/o those black mouldings. thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
serious offers

yes, i do have a serious offer on the table, and it's very close to what i need. i'll be speaking with the bidder soon to see if we can't finalize something. thanks for the interest...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it is still available. the potential buyer and i were very close to finalizing things however he had an unfortunate family emergency with his son breaking his leg. understandably, buying the car has temporarily taken a backseat in terms of his priorities.

i should have some new photos posted later this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New photos! Side mouldings removed!

As i mentioned earlier, i had those ugly black side mouldings removed and the area underneath repainted. i also had the leading edge of the nose repainted due to small rock chips, and the belly pan underneath the front bumper was completely repainted. take a look at the pics i posted. i don't think you can find a better 74 spider anywhere at such a reasonable price. let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hi frank...yes...i was verrry close to getting a deal done...but such is life. i haven't had it on the market since then, and i was going to monterey anyway so i figured i'd take the spider and perhaps sell it there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts