Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to offer this car to Alfa BB members first before I list on ebay. I have owned this euro spec (105.44) GTV for 4 years. I have completely rebuilt the floors and a lot of new metal was welded in. The underside is all new, including suspension, brakes, exhaust, fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, rebuilt rear axle. New brake master, clutch master and brake booster. New headlights, proper carello 5in lights, new front turn signals. New carpets and a dash with no large cracks (there are 2 areas where there is 2 small cracks that haven't gone through to the inner padding). There are no rips in the seating surfaces of the seats (just some tears in the side material). The car is a runner (the past owner told me that the engine was rebuilt maybe 30 000 miles ago. The odo shows 101 000 miles). The transmission shifts well however I never force a downshift to 2nd. The springs are IAP and the shocks are Koni sports.
What it needs; it does need the bodywork re done however it can be driven as is (you don't have to worry about stone chips). I am including a rust free right side rocker and NOS left rear fender. The rest of the metal needed can be easily sourced. I estimate that it needs rockers both sides (outer and maybe middle. The inners have been replaced), and perhaps rear valance.
The headlining has no tears but does have stains.
I am looking for US$8500 for this car. This amount represents a little less than my investment. It will go on ebay with a slightly higher reserve.
I'm located in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, about 3 hours east of Detroit MI.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow...what a nice project that would be. The underside looks great. What are your thoughts on its ability to make a comfortably paced trip to southern california? I'm more comfortable with body/interior work than I am with mechanical issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
71 Gtv 1750

Well, the chassis and brakes are solid. The rear axle is good. The rad has been re cored. The battery is new and the alternator rebuilt. The engine pulls well (I've taken it up to the redline several times). The clutch is good. I would say that with any 30 plus year old car that you should always be prepared for a breakdown. Having said that, in 3 summers of driving, it has let me down only once and that was in the spring and some fuel had varnished and blocked up the fuel delivery. I didn't get the fuel stabilizer in a few days before it's winter storage... so it was self inflicted.
The longest drive that I have had it on was about 2 hours and it was fine. Oh, and the fuel gage is not working, so, regular fuel stops and you probably be ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like she could be a capable travel companion. I guess I'm about 4-6 weeks from being able to do something, so maybe the timing just isn't right for this one, though. For your sake, I hope you find a new owner sooner than that, but if not, I'd love to talk to you more seriously about it. I'll be around the bb every once in a while in the meantime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
71 Gtv 1750

Thanks for your interest, but if I don't have any serious buyers in a week or two, the car is going on to ebay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fs. 71 Gtv 1750

I do know a bit about bringing a car from the US into Canada. However, I don't know a lot about the other way. I do know that as long as the car is at least 25 years old and you are bringing it into the US for personal use (ie, not to sell), all vehicles are admissable and there is no need of any modifications to bring them up to US standards (bumpers, emissions..). My advice is to search on the web for bringing in a car and also check with the border crossing (Windsor/Detroit?) what documentation you would need.
In Canada, a seller of a vehicle must purchase a "seller's package" which basically shows previous owners, any reportable accidents and any liens. We also provide the ownership which is signed over the new owner and a safety cerificate (this car is emissions exempt). I can inquire if there is any speacil documentation that I would have to provide to sell the car to a US citizen.
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks Tom. I did find out that as far as the US Department of Transportation goes, all I need is form HS-7 and check the box that the car is older than 25 years. I'll check with border security to find out what the duty would be on the car. Dealing with the government will be easy. Dealing with my wife will be another story!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Howieb4,

The duty will be 2.5% of the sale price.

Giorgio

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Howieb4,

The duty will be 2.5% of the sale price.

Giorgio
is it different when importing from Canada? I paid NO duties when importing my GTV in April

1 - 13 of 13 Posts