Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I got an email from the guy. Here's what is says:

HI,
THANKS FOR THE EMAIL ABOUT THE CAR. THIS IS THE SS MODEL, OF WHICH THE OWNER SAID HE ONLY KNOWS OF 49 OF THESE BEING IN THE U.S. THIS IS A 67 MODEL THAT HE PURCHASED IN 1973 IN CALIFORNIA. HE IS AN ARCHITECT, HAS HAD OFFICES ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND FINALLY SETTLED HERE IN DALLAS SOME YEARS AGO.
AS FOR THE CONDITION, I AS A CAR COLLECTOR WOULD HAVE TO SAY, THE CAR NEEDS FULL RESTORATION. IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD DO FRAME OFF RESTORATION AS THE OWNER CHANGED THE ORIGINAL POWDER BLUE TO SILVER MANY YEARS AGO. THE CAR WAS THEN IN THE GARAGE SOME 20 YEARS AGO WHEN THE HOUSE WAS INVOLVED IN A FIRE, THUS CAUSING HEAT DAMAGE TO THE PAINT AND INTERIOR. THE CAR WAS TAGGED AND REGISTERED UP UNTIL 7-8 YEARS AGO, WHEN THE OWNER WAS LIVING MOST OF THE TIME IN BEIJING. THE INTERIOR IS ORIGINAL BUT VERY DRY AND ROUGH, THE PAINT, AS MENTIONED EARLIER, IS HEAT DAMAGED AND NOT ORIGINAL, AND THE TIRES ARE BADLY DRY ROTTED, ALTHOUGH THEY DO STILL HOLD AIR.
AS FOR MECHANICALLY IT WAS RUNNING UP UNTIL PARKED SOME 7 YEARS AGO. THE OWNER IS CONVINCED THAT WITH A FRESH TANK OF GAS THE CAR SHOULD CRANK RIGHT UP, BUT HE IS RELOCATING NOW TO CHINA AND HAS NO TIME TO DEAL WITH THIS CAR, THUS BEING WHY I WAS CALLED INTO THE PICTURE.
I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR LIQUIDATING ASSETS OF THE HOUSE FOR THE OWNERS AND WILL BE REPRESENTING THEM FULLY DOING ALL NECESSARY TO SELL THIS CAR AS WELL AS A HOUSEFULL OF ASIAN/FRENCH ART, ETC.
IF YOU ARE FURTHER INTERESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I CAN SEND YOU PICTURES I SHOT OF THE CAR JUST YESTERDAY. I CAN ALSO AID IN SHIPMENT OF THE CAR AS WE HERE IN DALLAS HAVE EXCELLENT SHIPPING COMPANIES FOR VEHICLES BASED HERE.
BEST REGARDS,
ROBERT PICKETT
CLEANSWEEP ESTATES OF DALLAS
Guess he's not up on digital photography yet. (!?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
click on link

I clicked on the link all the way in the first post and there were 2 or 3 pictures of a silver colored SS

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I clicked on the link all the way in the first post and there were 2 or 3 pictures of a silver colored SS
The link in post #1 showed pictures for me too.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see them now as well. Had to refresh the browser. Definitely a project car but the pics don't hint as to what extent other than paint.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
****! He shouldn't have been so modest. The picture makes it look fine for a $15K SS. Oh well...

Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Amazing... when I lived in Dallas in the mid-90's I ran across this car while looking for a house to buy. It was somewhere near Forest lane and Hillcrest. I just remember major powerlines behind the house.

Anyway, the car, back then was pretty solid. They had had a garage fire which affected the paint on one side. I it looked really faded out on that side and may have had some checking and blistering, too. Of course, it had already sat out for some time so the interior was shot. However, I thought it was unusual since the dash was a tan stitched leather. Very nice. (I seem to remember the earlier SS's had a different dash treatment)

I tried to buy that car... stopping by every so often to see if somebody was there. I talked to his daughter and left my name a couple of times but never heard from the owner. By the time I moved in 1998 I figured somebody must have bought it.

I am pretty sure this was a known car in the area. Apparently the owner would never part with it until now. I guess it pays to cruise Craigslist.

Steve

PS, if I remember correctly, it was a very late car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mark Guinther (he of the late Potello works) sold one in similar condition some four or five years ago for five grand I recall. It was missing some trim. Even at that price the cost of restoration would exceed the cost of of a fairly decent example. For that reason and having been down the restoration trail before (again, and again, and again....) I passed.

For the same reasons I passed on another one in like condition I ran into about six months ago in the northwest. There around but think carefully before jumping.....

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
"AS FOR MECHANICALLY IT WAS RUNNING UP UNTIL PARKED SOME 7 YEARS AGO. THE OWNER IS CONVINCED THAT WITH A FRESH TANK OF GAS THE CAR SHOULD CRANK RIGHT UP"

LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D That line made my morning...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who knows... it just might crank up. I bought a low mileage MkII Tiger that had been sitting in a garage since the early 80's... drained the tank, cleaned the lines with air, new filter, checked plugs, new oil + filter, and voila... it started and ran fine.

Sadly, the brakes are a mess.... I am having a devil of a time getting the drums off. I doubt they have ever been off the car. I am sure it is just a matter of time with a penatrant and tapping it every so often.

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
$15K five years ago = 17,000 Euros. Today $15K = 10,500+/- Euros. That's a huge drop in price for an asset that has actually increased in price over that time! This car is probably headed to Europe. Decent examples (drivers) now going for 25,000 Euro's across the pond - making them $40,000 to purchase and bring back at that price. Short of being very rusty, this car seems like a bargain for a low production, rare Alfa. The weakness of the dollar has driven the cost down significanlty for our European friends & (should be) driving up the value of our cars here. U.S. to U.S. buyer's don't necessarily see/experience this as we're on the same currency, but its happening... just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the component a lot of people are missing on these types of restoration projects is the low intial purchase price against the cost of restoration. Say you did pay $15K for this car - add restoration costs of $30K-40K+ (not hard to do). The math does not add up. On the other hand, if the intent is to bring back a project from the brink for love of the process, then that is a different story.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Restorations are an interesting point in the economic equation. As the Euro has gained against the dollar, restorations completed in the U.S. are actually becoming cheaper. Using the 5 years ago example, a $40,000 restoration would have equated to 45,000 Euro's. Now, that same $40k US based restoration only cost 26,000 Euro's. its one reason why the fully restored models are commanding more than ever now, and in many cases more than cover the costs of restoration. In the past, the equation was - "don't expect to make up the costs of the restoration when you sell". I believe that's changing (for certain models only - the Giulia's, GTV's & other more commonly available cars in Europe this doesn't apply - no offense to the Giulia & GTV crowd by the way)

In any case, your points are well taken about getting into a project with eyes wide open. I'd still maintain that if the car wasn't a rust bucket, that price still seems pretty "well bought" for a very low production, hand built car. Dollars going in should get rewarded on the back end, provided the work gets completed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
In the UK a really nice SS would be no more than £25K or$50K so at £7.5K you would have a budget of £17.5K to land it and do the work, say £2K shipping? so still £15K or so to spend, if you could do the 'donkey' work of stripping, cleaning most of the welding and the mechanical work you may just be able to to do it. As a project to do yourself it looked pretty good value to me.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Who knows... it just might crank up. I bought a low mileage MkII Tiger that had been sitting in a garage since the early 80's... drained the tank, cleaned the lines with air, new filter, checked plugs, new oil + filter, and voila... it started and ran fine.

Sadly, the brakes are a mess.... I am having a devil of a time getting the drums off. I doubt they have ever been off the car. I am sure it is just a matter of time with a penatrant and tapping it every so often.

Steve
My point exactly - not exactly a gas-n-go prospect. Any car sitting for that period of time is bound to have frozen bits, corroded bits, dried out bits, rotted bits, all together equaling unsafe bits. I love seeing the infamous line "ran when parked...". :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Dallas Silver SS

Amazing... when I lived in Dallas in the mid-90's I ran across this car while looking for a house to buy. It was somewhere near Forest lane and Hillcrest. I just remember major powerlines behind the house.

Anyway, the car, back then was pretty solid. They had had a garage fire which affected the paint on one side. I it looked really faded out on that side and may have had some checking and blistering, too. Of course, it had already sat out for some time so the interior was shot. However, I thought it was unusual since the dash was a tan stitched leather. Very nice. (I seem to remember the earlier SS's had a different dash treatment)

I tried to buy that car... stopping by every so often to see if somebody was there. I talked to his daughter and left my name a couple of times but never heard from the owner. By the time I moved in 1998 I figured somebody must have bought it.

I am pretty sure this was a known car in the area. Apparently the owner would never part with it until now. I guess it pays to cruise Craigslist.

Steve

PS, if I remember correctly, it was a very late car.
Steve,

That is amazing to hear. That's seems to be the way that a lot of good cars are found, and I do have a fair shares of stories like yours. I did also heard about the car a couple of years ago by some local Alfa guy. He said that he wanted to buy the car, but I knew he had the money to buy it. I did asked him that if he could not come up with the cash I would buy it and give him a nice finder fee of $1,000.00. Sad, but true, neither he nor I got the car and the worst part is that I drive every day by Forest and Hillcrest to my office at Preston Center. So the car was in the Preston Hollow area. I should not complaint, I got my current SS from the estate of the original owner for $2,000.00:eek:. There were two cars, a Giulia TI which I sold for about $500.00, the SS, and a number of parts that more than made for the SS purchase price. I sold the parts for about $3,000.00 and still have parts left.:D

Regards,

Lionel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts