1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Looks like alphaalfa has a new car. Hope this works out for both of you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so too....I wondered where he came from. A lady in Washington state had her heart set on picking it up and driving back, and alphaalfa swooped in and stole it out from under her for $50. I guess all's fair, but I feel bad for her. Oh well...If he changes his mind, he'll have an avid buyer waiting.

I'm in shock...Will contact him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found out he lives in the desert. My AC just got recharged, it works as well as it ever did, but 134A is not all that cold. I asked him how important cold AC is to him, living in the desert...he said very. He bid without asking any questions first, now I feel in a quandary. I want to sell my car, but want the new buyer to be absolutely happy. I told him to check with the mechanic, come test the AC first and I'd let him out of the deal if he felt it was inadequate. It's been rebuilt, recharged, I don't know what else to say...
The other bidders either drove/tested the car or asked the status of various items that were important to them....paint, interior, AC, heat, etc. What is your opinion on 134A vs R12? I think it's less cold.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
When converted properly to R134a the 164 made for R12 comes close but R12usually bit colder than a 24v that came with R134a and correct expansion valve and condensor.

Put a thermometer in dash vent and see how close to 39F air you get probably with R134 you will get about 46F. Do test in the shade on cool morning not in heated car.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... What is your opinion on 134A vs R12? I think it's less cold.
It is well documented that it takes more 134A coolant to equal the same amount of R12. Hence, cars designed with 134A have a larger compressor. Furthermore, 134A has smaller molecules than R12, and 134A operates at a higher pressure. This will eventually cause an R12 system with 134A coolant to fail. Thus, it is really not a good idea to convert an R12 system to 134A, unless you change the compressor and hoses. An excellent and fully compatible alternative to R12 is Environsafe (ES-12), which is an inexpensive and proven coolant. There is a lot of info on this, and it is not a difficult retrofit. You should mention that to the bidder who won the car.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think car should be fine for the dessert. Jason at Alfissimo Int is in Phoenix and he uses 134A. His car is white and does well in the summer. I on the other hand I may be moving back there and my black on black S has me thinking of a color change.

Oh and congrats on selling the car. It looks fantastic! I have about $4500 plus into my 92 L and it's nowhere near as nice as yours.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You can also suggest the bigger condenser which Alfissimo sells. If you need a bigger fan, the late 90's Ford Mustang v6 fan should work fine too.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Evo is right the condenser makes a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are a wealth of knowledge.....Thank you so much. I doubt that the buyer wants to change the compressor just for the fun of it, though. It was replaced by the previous owner, but I don't know it's capacity or brand. We only added one can of 134A...It checked out at around 55 degrees, the mechanic said, but it had been running, idling, and it was one hot day out in Poway.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Oh no, not compressor the condenser. Not very expensive by comparison. 55 degrees is OK, Poway was probably close to 90 yesterday I would imagine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts