Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 164S in my garage, that I do not have time to complete. I started replacing the timing belt, and doing a bunch of other things, and just don't have time/experience to finish. It's really close, as there are just minor bits to finish:

1. Intake plenum mounted. Has all new intake hoses.
2. Power steering belt needs to be attached.
3. Fluids topped off
4. Misc hoses to attach.

Car has other issues:

Dent in hood. Paint is weak. Cracked windshield. Usual electrical gremlins.

I am sure someone who knows what they are doing could finish this in a couple of hours. It has been sitting in my garage for 5 years, and I just know I am not going to get to it. Time to move it out.

$1500 Firm. If it doesn't sell, i could part it out, or maybe, maybe actually get to finishing it. :)

Attached is old picture. It's too dusty to take a decent pic.

408 391 4365
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
I remember seeing these pics online and thinking how nice it looks. GL w the sale

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember seeing these pics online and thinking how nice it looks. GL w the sale
Thanks. Just at a place right now, where I don't have the time or more importantly, the space to deal with it. :(

I did drive and enjoy the car, before I started working on it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wish it was closer, it looks like some one is going to get a great deal!

·
Registered
570 Posts
164s

Makes me nostalgic for the one I sold so long ago. What color/condition is the interior? Please PM me and let's see if it adds up to a deal. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black interior. There is some wear on driver's bolster. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

I already have one person who is interested. I will put you in second in line.

Thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
570 Posts
164s

Okay. Solid Second. :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more pictures

Ok. Took some more pictures today. I have hi-res pictures if someone wants those...

It's been a while since i messed with the car, so, I had forgotten some items:

Aluminum raditor and aftermarket fan (See picture)
New (not installed yet, still in box) reservoir for radiator
Lots of parts bought and used, such as all radiator hoses, fuel lines
New water pump
New timing belt
New tires (Less then 2k miles on them, but 5 years old.)

More about the bad stuff:
1. Dent in hood is about the size of a pine cone. PO said that is what caused the dent.
2. Front has obviously been resprayed, but not the rest of the car. Crap job. Looks good at 50 feet, or in a picture. :)
3. Window regulator on driver's door is bad.
4. Badly cracked windshield.

The car drove well, when I parked it. Though, I am sure there are things to pay some attention to.

Here's the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flash seems to have washed out the seats a bit. They really are not that bad at all.

:)

Also, the PO owner had a top end rebuild around 80-90k I think. I do have some of the receipts... I think it cost around 4k at the time.

-- brett

·
Registered
570 Posts
Brett,

Have you kept it registered all this time, as inoperable, perhap?

·
Registered
570 Posts
164s

Clear coat failure is common on these cars and could account in part for the front paint job. How in the clear coat holding up on the top, trunk lid and spoiler? Is the paint peeling off at the base of the side view mirrors? Are the door handles showing any crack lines at all?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is registered as a non-op. So, reg is up to date.

And paint is not very good. There is some seperation at places, and I remember the paint appearing as "worn". I was planning a complete respray before I just lost interest in the project.

-- brett

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hmmm, from the (old) photos and the description up to this point, I was looking forward to not having to do an entire respray. Can you post a few shots of what you are calling worn? Are you available to show the car tomorrow morning? Thanks

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
At $1500 I think the condition of paint is irrelevant. Good luck with the sale; someone will snatch this up and appreciate it for what it is and not nit-pick.

I see an aluminum radiator, wheels that remind me of an old Shankle (and very cool) wheel, and other good bits that suggest your $1500 firm price should be rock bottom.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Rob,

I'm not knit picking or looking for a reduction in price. The seller said his price is firm and I respect that. Having painted a few cars myself, I'm just thinking out loud that I may not be up to doing it again.

At $1500 I think the condition of paint is irrelevant. Good luck with the sale; someone will snatch this up and appreciate it for what it is and not nit-pick.

I see an aluminum radiator, wheels that remind me of an old Shankle (and very cool) wheel, and other good bits that suggest your $1500 firm price should be rock bottom.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I am available tomorrow morning. About what time?

I will take some more pictures. I will see if there is anything else you should know about. Everyone sees a car different, depends on what you look for, right? :)

-- brett

·
Registered
398 Posts
I remember those first two photos from the net, I’ve sent to my wife with a little note: “Honey, I bought this kind of car today...”
This is good deal, wish you were closer, best of luck with the sale.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Brett,

I sent you a PM. See you at 11 am tomorrow.

Ross

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See you then!

-- brett

·
Registered
570 Posts
Brett,
PM sent this morning.