Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, eBay said no insertion fee so I just listed my '88 Milano Verde. Don't really want to sell but we are running out of room :eek: and wife said we need to trim down :( ...

Anyway, here it is! Car is located in Boston area.

This car has come a long way since we got it. It is by no means perfect - there's always something that can be upgraded or improved. We use our 164's (and a couple other automatic cars) as daily/utility drivers. This Milano Verde just hasn't been used that much since we put it on the road. I put snow tires on this car last winter as a "backup" car but we used the other FWD cars regularly. Now we got a couple spiders last summer, we likely will use this car even less during the warm seasons when the spiders are back on the road.

I do like to sell this car to somebody who knows this car (i.e. somebody who knows what he is getting into :)) and can enjoy it. Yes, I should have posted it here first to see whether somebody here is interested. But (although it is somewhat rushing) if you are serious enough and don't quite enjoy last minute bidding excitments :), feel free to PM me with questions and/or a reasonable offer. I might end the eBay auction early (at least one or two days before it ends) if you catch me in the right mood ;) - beside, I like to move the plates to the '95LS (wife only drives automatic!).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, bump, ... less than 2 days to go!

eBay Item number: 300178824431

I have also added some more information to the listing and lowered the reserve to let the market take it course (or let somebody ends up with a good deal ;))!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less than one hour to go ... It looks like I might end up keeping it :p !!! I guess I just hit "1000" too :)!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very nice car. good luck.
Thanks! I guess I can keep it longer :) ... I will feel sad to let it go after all those fix-up works that I have put in! Ok, I can go tell the boss nobody wants it now :) ;)!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...after which "the boss" will tell you to lower your reserve when you re-list it.

Go ahead. We'll wait.
Thanks for your suggestion! ... "the boss" is actually quite understanding ... at least for now :)!

I put it up on eBay sort of in a hurry (taking the "no insertion fee" bait) ... so it was a one time, shall I say, "eBay stunt/special"! I know my description and a couple photos probably made some people feel reluctant but I wanted to represent what it is (from my perspective).

If you're wondering whether I'm planning to re-list it on eBay soon ... well, probably not right now! As a (first time) seller, it was interesting to see that there was a lot of "watchers". But it is hard to guess how many of these "Alfisti" are really in the market "Looking For Another", haha :)!

I think I will just put it on local CL to let people know that it is available. For those interested, please contact me offline - the best way is to come and look at the car if you can!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I will "watch" an auction with genuine interest in following the transaction, but with no interest in acquiring the vehicle... I don't think this is uncommon, but it is a bit misleading for the seller.

An interesting observation that I have made is that good vehicles hurt themselves with a low BIN price, and they are not easy to sell. (Your car is a Verde, arguably the most desirable of the Milano models, and the amount that it would cost to duplicate what you had done to it, more than exceeds the BIN amount.) In fact, I would bet that if you published an asking price of $5k or $6k, based on the work done, you would generate genuine interest. Then, if a potential buyer actually inspected your car, he (or she) would probably agree that it is more than reasonably priced, at say $3800, and a transaction would go through with both parties feeling that it was fair...

Best regards,

·
Registered
333 Posts
That is an interesting observations Enrique. I would have to second what you are saying. At that price people will think that the rust is worse than you have described, or that it will need a T-belt changed in a few thousand miles. Something has to be wrong with a $3500 verde... or at least that is what people would think. If this car was listed 8 months ago when I was still in NJ, I would have bought it, considering what people seem to be asking for verdes now. Its a great car, enjoy it for a little longer!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wouldn't get too discouraged. December is a lousy time to sell cars, thats why ebay did the special.

I'm also trying to sell a Verde in great condition for $3200. I know its worth more but I'm working on 2 other Alfa projects and I just want to move the car. I think my car has over 200 looks, but thats seems typical on the Alfabb. Its the only time when people post all the photos of the car, so we all can compare stick shift size.

Lots of people like to "watch" the sales of Milano's hoping that someday they'll be worth a bunch of money. Just being optomistic. Thats the business of car buying/auctions.

My Milano will sell someday, probably in the spring when the weather clears up and people are driving with the windows down hearing that 3L sound.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't get too discouraged. December is a lousy time to sell cars, thats why ebay did the special.

I'm also trying to sell a Verde in great condition for $3200. I know its worth more but I'm working on 2 other Alfa projects and I just want to move the car. I think my car has over 200 looks, but thats seems typical on the Alfabb. Its the only time when people post all the photos of the car, so we all can compare stick shift size.

Lots of people like to "watch" the sales of Milano's hoping that someday they'll be worth a bunch of money. Just being optomistic. Thats the business of car buying/auctions.

My Milano will sell someday, probably in the spring when the weather clears up and people are driving with the windows down hearing that 3L sound.

Good luck with the sale.
Interesting! I'm a "watcher" too mostly, only I'm always hoping that someday they'll depreciate even more. (I'm on the "buying" side of the equation, after all.) I've been noticing several nice Verdes going for a lot less money than just earlier this year. I didn't think about the weather. I knew it would affect the sale of something like a Spider, but didn't think it would have as much impact on a sedan.

Anyway, when (if) I get serious about buying a Verde, I'll be sure to go shopping in late Fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts