Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my awesome 2-year Alfa adventure (this chapter anyway!) came to an unexpected close last week when I discovered an absolutely flawless 1981 911SC in a neighbors garage -- and bought it on the spot. Given that I only have room for three cars (and my 'real' cars - the XJR-R1 and her 525iT Wagon get slots one and two)...it means that its time for me to release my 1986 Quad. Its a pampered example - I got it with ~39K miles on it and now it has ~44K. I am the second owner (except for a short time at a "Suzuki " (?) Dealer in Texas where I rescued it from their confusion). It is always garaged and we live in a quiet golf community - and I LOVE my sports cars.

When I bought the car two years ago to replace the italian-shaped hole in my heart left when I sold my Jalpa, I kicked off a thread to describe the experience - its still over there in the Spider section (but alas without any photos). Reading it now, it would seem that my Quad is not a very strong example -- I spent a few months back in 05 screwing around and whining over there about a couple of simple issues - leaking fuel lines (replaced) and a bad fuel pump. I also ended up having some issues with the battery and I made a (documented) stupid error attempting to pry the rear badge off with a spoon - its still on there, only now there is a ring of dings around it. Aside from some additional cosmetic issues (many little dings along the passenger side - invisible in the photos, a light scratch or two, faded cowl thing on the hood) and a slightly-touched bumper (a previous garage incident), and no hardtop, I think this is actually one of the nicest Quads I have seen.

I know that sounds like the joke about the three legged and blind dog who answers to 'Lucky', but it really is stunning. Its been running strong since I last posted about the fuel pump issue and starts everytime. It is, in real life, prettier than these low-res pics can show.

The car includes every piece of dealer material - including the paper key fob and pen - and books and records. It includes an original brochure and the big aftermarket workshop manual. It includes the original floormats - but they are pretty much shot - as well as bright red mats. It includes a bra, the boot cover (the top is in great shape BTW), a BRAND NEW IN BOX Nardi Gara Sport wheel and Alfa hub, lightly used Performance (red) Springs and Koni Classics set (which I bought from 90Quad when he was parting out his car) - these are not installed.

I am probably forgetting things, but basically, I think this is a great car. I drove it home from Dallas when I bought it and wouldnt hesitate to do it again.

I am asking $8500 for the car - figuring its probably worth around $10 - $10.5K (based on the NADA guides w/o top) if not for the aforementioned cosmetic issues. (I see from the other Quad-for-sale thread that that is apparently north of a "premium" price --- but this particular car, despite its flaws, is easily worth that money - I think its a no-brainer at that price, actually). The car is in Omaha, garaged (the wagon is outside for now).

I have a ton more pix of course and will be honest about whatever you want to ask about the car - let me know if you are interested! If you are not interested, and want to be grumpy and take shots at my asking price, I say -- whatever -- feel free!! :D

Cheers - (and I probably wont be gone long --- I see a Montreal and a late GTV in my future)

Collin

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no clue --- I also thought it was strange that it included ALL of the original bits except the top - I really don't know. The guys I bought it from didn't know anything about this car and I never tried to reach out to the original owner.

If I had to guess, someone probably picked it off to sell at some point - I doubt that the original owner would have let it go (unless he didnt want to store it?).

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:cool:Looks real nice:). Now, details on the '81 911SC :D.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Ah, you're selling the car? Wow!

I looked at this car before Colin bought it two years ago... it was one of the cleanest, most solid S3 Spiders I've ever seen. Not a speck of rust anywhere and no evidence that it had been stored anywhere but a garage.

Unfortunately just north of my price range or I'd buy it from you... I should have snagged it in '05 so I didn't have to go through this Alfa buying and selling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Hooligan! Thanks for the kind words! I was just reading my first posts and remember that you 'previewed' it before I flew down there!

Here are a few more pics for those who requested --- some full "family" pics I shot ten minutes ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
The springs and shocks are no longer available with this car since I purchased them last night from Collin. :)

The car is very nice with everything exactly as indicated in the pictures. The top was down with the boot on, so I wasn't able to see the soft top. He is now selling it for $8,000.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words! I tried to get the wife to call the 525 a "shooting brake" but she wont do it -- so it's the "wagon". "Estate" sounds better...

Let me know if anyone around here is interested in my Quad.:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...she is sold.

She just left for her new home a few minutes ago!! My adventure comes to a close!!!

Cheers to all ---

Collin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts