Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to make some garage space for the Fulvia and the OSCA I just bought, so I'm selling the Ferrari. I've had my fun with it, now it's time for someone else to do the same:

Smooth, strong V 12 power with the reliability of a GM TH400 transmission, from the factory! This is the gentlemen's Ferrari, and can seat 4 comfortably. Working A/C, power steering and brakes, power windows, mirrors and antenna. Car is original and unmolested. Records back to the mid 80s. Always enthusiast owned, and well cared for. Just tuned, with new plugs, wires, cap and brakes. Rebuilt alternators, power steering pump, and transmission. New battery. Recent oil change. Straight, solid body with very nice paint. New in dash Alpine CD player with iPod connectivity. This is a fully sorted car, in a rare (for a 400i) Rosso Corsa. Just completed a trouble free 5000 mile trip. Turn the key, and go! $24,900

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
With a 1982 Mondial advertised for $21,500 (see other thread), this is a real deal--it's a lot more car than a Mondial.

I saw it in person a couple of weeks ago, and it seems like a solid honest driver. If I had garage space, I'd be seriously tempted. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I've always felt that the 400i was very under-valued.
The knocks on them are the automatic, the styling, and the cost of maintenance.

But, this is a front-engined, V-12 Ferrari, with over 300HP!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Quite the sharp looking 4 seater IMO:). But the "Gentlemen's car" catagory I'm afraid leaves me out:eek:.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would buy her if she was silver with a 5 speed...SHe is beautiful are you going to list it again??? JJ
Most likely...just got 2 new red Italians in this week, and I need the garage space :)

You know, you could paint her and put in a decent 5 speed!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Martin Buckley's column in the Sept. issue of Classic & Sports Car is all about how underrated the 400i is, particularly the auto. This might be the perfect time to re-offer it; post some quotes from his essay.

In any case, 20 years ago, the 330 GT was $29,000; now it's cheap at $75,000--even the 4-headlight S1. It's hard to see how the same thing won't happen to the 400i. I'm with jjay911 on the silver, but Kraig's right--that's what they make spray guns for...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I never really liked the look of them when I've seen them up close but there really growing on me, the first pic looks really good. Also 25000 (USD) for a ferrari! I suspect half the reason they are underated is because of the sedan type body which Ferrari don't seem to use much. Who can say no to a Ferrari V12.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Guess I'll chime in - I love the 400/412 series, and have always wanted one ever since a neighbor of mine growing up had one (early eighties) - I seem to have a knack for picking the least loved cars (unbeknownst to me at the time). If I could ever get over the fact that for the price of a tune up, I could buy a handful of Alfettas (See above comment & don't laugh - I love them!:D), or a couple more motorcycles, I'd own one already. Instead I have a hardcover book devoted solely to the 412 that I flip through on occasion that keeps me happy. I wish someone would make a 1:18 scale model of these, but I guess I'm the only one who'd buy it. :eek:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would buy her if she was silver with a 5 speed...SHe is beautiful are you going to list it again??? JJ
A buddy of mine sold a silver five speed with pretty low miles about a year and a half ago for around $14k. It seems no one wants a four seater? I drove it several times and it was a blast and made all the right noises and smells. Wife said she would kill me if I even thought about it. Oh well.....:(

Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The exhaust is basically stock, save for the neat Stebro tips.

JJ, I had the car at the awards night!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts