Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Ditto comment here. Real nice but the Bobcor mechanical work:confused::

Brand new A/C unit ($3K) was installed by Bobcor and was working when the car left Florida for my house in California. When I received the car it didn't work. < Bobcor hisself

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC Problem

Ditto comment here. Real nice but the Bobcor mechanical work:confused::

Brand new A/C unit ($3K) was installed by Bobcor and was working when the car left Florida for my house in California. When I received the car it didn't work. < Bobcor hisself
I hear ya! I'm not too worried about the mechanicals because most of Bob's employees quit right before my car was built. Richard Stephens ended up doing almost all of the work. I recall him telling me he finally got the AC blowing ice cold air but he obviously missed something! :( It's a solid car but I wanted to make sure to describe all the known issues so the buyer gets no surprises. It bugs me when I see over the top descriptions that aren't accurate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Smog equipt 74 GTV

Looks like a nice car but i am curious since i bought a new 1974 GTV in 1975
and it had no smog equipment on it that i remember. The e bay description says stephens took the smog stuff off. What smog stuff are you talking about?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what was pulled off the car. I was under the impression that all 1968 and later cars had EGRs or other stuff. I also know that the Euro versions had more HP and I assumed it was due to smog requirements. Bob Cozza told me that Richard pulls all the smog stuff off when he builds these motors. Maybe someone else could confirm that there was or wasn't smog equipment on these cars from the factory...

·
Registered
601 Posts
The American cars (1750 and 2000 models) differed from the Euro cars by having the Spica injection system. The Euro cars had carbs and a somewhat more aggressive cam and a bit more horsepower. The American imports passed smog with no additional equipment beyond the Spica system through the 74 model year. Starting in 75 I think they had additional equipment.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As far as I know the only enviro requirements of the time were met by the Spica. There were no Cats on 105 cars. Could it be bobcor put a later engine or bought it with a later engine?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That is pretty imprssive, considering it is a "restoration" and it has lots of innacurate and non-original items. (As well as parts painted wrong, and badges facing wrong directions etc). Also noticed that interior panels are not original and missing lower door entry lights. Rear interior panels are missing the original rear ashtray's, etc. Seats are correct pattern but not correct material and they are larger and wider then they should be from the pictures. Trunk is missing orginal rubber and mat as well as original grey carpet and original jack are missing. Original manuels are not with the car. The original paint or colors on these cars is not a issue as one cannot even get the orig. led based paint colors for these cars anymore due to ecological reasons, thanks to the Feds in the US. The other things are what real collectors look for, as they are increasingly becomng rare.

Can't imagine what a car that has all of this correct and original would go for? It is very, very rare to see a GTV that has everything and is original, I have seen all but a few over the last 15 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gtv Prices

It makes no difference to me what these cars sell for, but like some of you say who are gurus on whats correct it tells me there are a lot of bidders out there that do not know that much about the cars that have more $$$ than knowledge or sense.

About a month or so ago a 74 GTV went for about 24k that the owner had proof and paper work that he had put 40k restoring it. The car was in LA and he did none of the work himself. This was a steal for any one looking for an extra good GTV i believe. Some of you purists would not have liked it because it was painted that plum color and was red from the factory. The interior i think was done in leather but not black like the original. These changes would not have bothered me a bit because this was as close to an every nut and bolt and complete ground up restoration as you can get. These opinions are just my 2 cents worth and as we all know there are different strokes for different folks. I would not be surprised to see one of these cars go for 40 k before long. But that does not mean that they all will.

Bill

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow! $32K? That's phenomenal. Looks like you've answered my question re: whether or not to restore my '71. Congratulations. May I ask whether the buyer is European? My guess is these seemingly inflated purchase amounts (someone mentioned a 69 went for roughly the same amount) are a more a function of the weak dollar than sudden GTV appreciation. Any thoughts on that?

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
I seem to recall or heard of a GTV that sold during Concourso in Monterey for 30g also. Prices are on the way up.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Here is a totally diffrent't car that came back on November 13, 2004 (3 years ago) a 74" GTV 2000 sold for $30,101, as shown in the Sports Car Market Letter. It was beautiful and had various euro spec modifications.

"The car comes with factory air conditioning and limited-slip differential. It has also had a number of options installed on it over the years. The major items include: Cromodora wheels with Pirelli P6 tires, Alpine cassette stereo and speakers, factory GTA headers and complete exhaust system, factory European cams, Koni shocks, Shankle sway bars, lowered springs, blueprinted injection pump and injectors, European taillights and side markers, Carello headlamps, chrome outside mirror, sump guard, power antenna, battery master switch, updated fuel pump and a new high-torque starter from an Alfetta. In addition the car will come with most of the removed OEM parts".

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've been saying that GTV's are ridiculously underpriced.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Beautiful car.
I'm sure he put close to the 32K into it to get it to that condition.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the trend. Rosso and Simon's input is valuable, since the dollar was much stronger in 2004. It tends to confirm what you guys are saying about the value appreciating. Anyone else have that kind of data? Re: Simon's point, does it make sense to include or exclude Concourse sales? Seems that a sale on eBay or to the general public would be a better indicator of these cars' appreciating value. A lot of people that aren't Alfisti buy Alfas because the car looks so **** cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts