Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I think that's a very fair price. Top end for really nice Duettos is in the mid $20s these days, so it's good to see that S2s are starting to get the recognition they deserve.

Of course, if only you'd left it the right color who knows what it would have sold for... :)

-Jason

·
Registered
572 Posts
new owner/caretaker of 'Tito's car'

I just got home from one of my all time favorite car days!!! This from a fortunate fellow who has owned and currently owns some amazing cars. I woke up in Lake Tahoe this morning at 5:00 a.m. - girlfriend dropped me off at Reno Airport, commuted to Oakland and then Burbank, picked up punctually by Tito and off to his house. He pulled the cover off his silver beauty and even though from the photos and threads I was expecting excellence - IT FREAKIN BLEW ME AWAY!!

Tito is a class act and his (former) car is as well. I raised the bar a little with the $18K price, but it's worth every penny. I am shocked that no one else stepped up and bought this little gem? I guess it is a bit OVER market value, but again, worth every penny to me.

I will alway refer to it as 'Tito's car' since his good taste is all over it and you all know it from his restoration. I will take good care of it.

FYI - I drove from Tito's house in northern LA to Tahoe like a bat out of hell. Has anyone here driven the route through Mammoth Lakes, Mono Lake, etc. very scenic, very winding, perfect for a high speed drive in a slippery silver ALFA!! Averaged about 90 mph - dodging CHP and NHP's all the way:D
Car performed like a champ!!!

I will post pictures of it in my garage with my other 'toys' in a few weeks time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Congratulations on a fine purchase....even at 20 k...this is still a great great buy....personally ..i have seen this car at pablo's...undergoing a complete strip down to the bare metal and then put together by Santos..in northridge...the detail was phenomenal....and you my friend have a hell of a driver....better than factory...

And yes...i have taken that trip...thru 395..via bishop...and the mono lake area....in my s2k.....and i can only imagine how spectacular it was in a vintage alfa....especially..when you start the uphill at 4500 foot elevation all the way up to mammoth lakes.....in the 8800 foot climb....where the air is soo thin...and crisp......wow..bring back memories...

·
Registered
572 Posts
it was sick!!!!

you are correct, 'Tito's car' is a hell of a driver, besides looking **** amazing too. This car is tight. I drove it hard for 500 miles right out his garage, talk about getting acquainted with your car in a hurry!! The webers sing, it tracks straight as a laser, it really is FAST compared to most Alfa's, and everything works beautifully. I am really excited....can you tell?? I am sick that there are bugs splattered all over that perfect silver paint...I'll clean her up in the a.m.!! Now if I could just get to sleep!!:eek:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Simon; I recently bought my 'Sud which also had a higher-than market value price, but no regrets at all. I could had saved appr. $ 800 (a big deal when we are talking Alfasuds :p ) if I had bartered and been more aggresive, but I think it is a good thing that both parties are satisfied by the deal.

I had the opportunity to get a ride in a S2 when I was in Australia earlier this year (many thanks to the "Silver Jones' ") and I must say that they are brilliant. And you have definately bought a good one, no perhaps even the BEST one! Congrats!!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Exceptional cars always sell for a lot more than the top end of cars that are in good shape. By all accounts, this is an exceptional car. Tito and soccersimon - congrats to both of you!

Best regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats ! I was late

Simon, Congrats on the beautiful purchase. What a job "Tito" had done !!

I was ready to buy it myslef until I read you had bought it. I am in the market for my second Alfa and I would have gladly paid 18K for this jewel.
Haven't seen any roundtails look this nice lately!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I'd say, very well bought. A car that you get in and just drive. Yup, those are the best;). A car I'd like to see close up:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
a very good price, considering the money that was spent to restore! Congratulations!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
appreciate the supportive words...

I can't get over that car!! The drive I took yesterday was by far the most enjoyable sports car drive I have ever had!! I am a sick Alfisti now like the rest of you:D

In the mid 1980's, my first collector car was a 1966 Guilia Spider Normale. I actually drove it a lot and a subsequent lust for an early Porsche 911 meant the Alfa went to someone else. My Guilia was restored, help me with his name (some of you long time Alfisti will know it), he had a small shop in El Cerrito,CA in the back of some commercial buildings. Eccentric guy, had some amazing cars and parts...I remember well a jet black very original 1959 Guilia Spider Veloce with lots of factory trick parts. He restored and worked on my car (one of his babies) until I sold and I left Alfa for awhile.

All that changed yesterday - when I acquired Tito's car. I can't tell you how magical and amazing my 500 mile drive was in that car yesterday!! Tito told me he set the car up to cruise to Vegas from his home in LA at a steady 100mph. I was a tiny bit skeptical until I hit the hwy - it CRUISES comfortably at 100mph!!! I had two encounters with CHP's that were perfect, I had just slowed down for something unrelated and then - bam - cops everywhere and I was just cruisin' casual at 70 as I passed. I also left his house, had no idea where I was and was attempting to get to Hwy 395 and looked off the split where 405 takes you to Sacramento via hwy 5. That would have been a boring hot journey, I made the correct choice and found a drive that was absolutely amazing in that little car!!

Here is my other favorite ride

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69678&stc=1&d=1181611823

- the big brother to Tito's silver Alfa. My CT is one of 13 or so downdraft carbed quattrovalvole's in the US, the top of the CT food chain - very fast and no expense 100% restored by Mike at Evans of Ohio. I will post pictures of the two Italian gems together as soon as my house is finished with some repair. Viva Italia!!

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Oh man! A CT with the nice lookin' front end. What a beaut!!!!

And please, a snapshot of those downdrafts would be spectacular!!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts