Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LOWERING PRICE TO $3,500.

I acquired this 1971 Spider 1750 in 1993, and have used it primarily as a weekend driver, accumulating possibly less than 20,000 miles over the 14 years that I’ve owned it.

The engine and transmission were rebuilt by Oliveria Engineering of Berkeley in 1995~6, both of which are still in excellent condition. The engine received larger intake valves, in addition to higher-lift cams while retaining wonderful bottom-end torque. The gearbox was endowed with all-new synchromesh, and shifts beautifully. The power-train has no more than 10,000 miles on it since rebuild, and cannot be sweeter revving and sounding. The Spica was overhauled by Glenn Oliveria during the engine-rebuild, and has never given me any trouble since. The battery is less than one year old.

The car sports Koni shocks and sport springs from IAP.

Now the bad news. There is rust in all the usual places - rockers, floor pans, behind the seats, etc. I’ve taken photos of most all areas with rust. The spare wheel well is mostly intact, with just a sliver of a crack that one should be able to patch up easily. There are also dents in the nose, as well as the passenger side. Front bumpers need replacing, as well as the top, which has faded to grey, and plastic window cracked and tossed out. The driver’s seat is a bit tattered, but the passenger seat is fine.

I had planned on restoring the car, so I bought a few parts to replace damaged ones. These are as follow, and are included in the car’s selling price:

A pair of Euro amber taillights (new)
A pair of headlight covers (new)
One reproduction center console (new)
One reproduction passenger-side door latch (new)
Two front turn signal lenses (new)
Four new hubcaps (new and installed)
The car also comes with a set of rubber floor mats pressed into service only a few months ago

I would like $3,750 for the car and mentioned new parts. It’s an excellent driver, and will be even better with a rebuilt front-end (new tie-rod ends and ball joints, A-arm bushings).

Photos below and more at this WEBSITE.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bugger, that's as much (perhaps less, I quit counting) than I've spent rebuilding my 71.. white Spider. And shipping to Corralitos way cheaper. BTW, that's not your spider out in front of the body shop in Freedom, looks like a Giulia.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the spider in town (SC) on 7th (old Tres Amigos place-now Hayes European) 1$/cc. As it turned out only 1 and 4 had compression due to some shattered rings in 2&3...and bad clutch, wrong SPICA pump, funky electrics, a bit of tenderness in the floor pan (a pucker moment on bumps). At the moment waiting for some tie rod ends from Centerline to eliminate the slight (ACK!) under(over)steer! So driving the Freightliner (aka Dodge Sprinter) in the meantime. Not near the fun, but better mileage/pound. But, new clutch, rebuilt motor, the correct pump (Wes) and a few other bits, and the spider will be golden for another...
Perhaps two white 71 1750s will pass by along the way up Eureka Canyon one day... reminds me, theres a hub cap somewhere between Rider and the summit.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sam,

I checked out your Spider while it sat at Hayes European - I thought that it looked pretty good! Good work slashing the price down; weren't they asking for $4,500 on CL? Crazy.

I've got a few extra used hubcaps if you need one.

A 101 Giulia Spider outside a body shop in Freedom? Interesting; I wonder who it belongs to? What's the body shop's name? I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Who's the lucky buyer? That car looked sweet but we're trying to come down from 5 Alfas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Patrick, well good on ya mate hope you got a value for the 71.
I dont know the name of the shop on Freedom, just past (going SB) the Y from Buena Vista and past the liqour/bait store opposite the gas station. He seems to do pretty good work, all sorts of classic euro and domestic jobs.
Sam

·
73 GT Junior
363 Posts
1971 Spider drive from Northern CA...........

I drove from LA to Concorso Italiano in Monterey with the boys (Haig,Italcarguy,Smestas, Snaidy,Super-racer) over the weekend of the 17th of August and displayed one of my Red 74 GTVs, had a total blast, went to the Historic races and RM auctions then for the return Italcarguy was kind enough to drive my car back while "Haig" and I went up to Berkley to fetch Pathung's Spider. The car was at Oliveria Engineering being checked out. The drive was super fun and we stoped in Pismo beach to get a set of new tires. This car runs like a race car...fast, responsive, and nimble. Can't wait to address the paint and interior. I've always wanted a 71' spider(1750) and can't be happier about my choice. Will post some photos of the resto as soon as my 78 Sport Sedan is done. Cheers all and Pat; thanks for a wonderful car!:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This '71 Spider was my first Alfa, bought just as I graduated from college. Through the car, I met countless new friends in the Alfa community, and found myself a hobby that will likely be my most rewarding and long-lasting.

Thanks, Manuel, for your plans to bring her back to her former glory; she won't disappoint, and I look forward to seeing your restoration progress!

·
73 GT Junior
363 Posts
Not lost and not forgotten

After almost 6 years in storage with an occasional short drive here and there, this car got a new valve job , floors , rockers and a jacking point. Then a super duper paint job in the original AR727 vroooooom , next it gets cosmetic attention , seats panels and top , some chrome and a set of momo vega wheels ......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Beautiful car! May want to consider posting a new thread in "restorations" or "spiders" instead of perpetuating a very old F/S ad that is no longer active... unless you are considering offering???

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re-reading this thread five years later sure brings back memories; sigh, I miss her. At the same time I'm elated at such effort having been devoted to her cause, and can't thank Manuel enough for it; she looks perfectly elegant in her original Argento, M!

I truly look forward to seeing the car in person again sometime, and having a little tete-a-tete; she's a dear old friend.

I'd actually suggest noting the car's restoration progress here in this thread, for the sake of "beginning to end".

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I love the fact that this thread was brought back from the dead. One sees cars sold and never gets to see the care and passion the new owners might have put into it.

Congrats and thank you for sharing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts