Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my front brakes and I had a hell of a time removing the passenger side rotor... once I got the hub off the inside bearing was still stuck on the stub axle. I tried everything short of a torch and eventually using a puller I got the bearing off... the driver's side slipped off like butter. I'm assuming the stub axle on the passenger side is bent so I'm in the process of locating a new knuckle and I think I've found one.

I've read my manual on replacing this part but I'm looking for suggestions and warnings before I begin. It looks to me that placing a jack under the front spring perch should allow me to unload the knuckle so I can remove and replace it. true?

-Raffi

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
Apart from the risk of being hit by a flying spring, the problem with using a jack is that it is difficult to get it truly centered under the spring pan. One corner of the pan will have the bolt under tension when the others are free. You can undo the nut as carefully as you can but the last couple of threads will tear when the nut pops off. Your head will be fairly close to all this stuff when the tension is released. How do you think I know these things? I am always looking for a quick, simple solution but I would recommend that you use lengths of screwed rod to unload the spring slowly.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Registered
936 Posts
Raffi,

you axle is probably not bent. several people, including myself, have had this problem :

the right side axle is just slightly larger in diameter than the left. dont ask how or why . . . :rolleyes:

with factory spec bearings, this is not such an issue. but the new SKS bearings are just slightly smaller in ID than the originals. this compounds the size issue of the axle. we had to carefully sand down the right axle until the new bearing JUST fits.

if you do a search, you should find at least 2 threads on this subject. (edit: i see Eric linked one of them)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting... I'll make some measurements. I thought I may have tweaked the stub axle when I had my mishap last year... maybe not.

I sorta feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

-Raffi

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
Buy a cheapie gear/bearing puller at Harbor Freight or similar to get it off without disassembling anything else. I've had this happen more than once with a slightly-too-tight-fit bearing on the spindle.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I've been waiting for the answer to come out on this one. It didn't seem right that you could have bent the axle stub without knowing something had happened. Good luck with the process. I had _thought_ that I'd exchanged front discs on a Spider before, but I didn't remember having to pull the axle nut. I'm just not sure anymore.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been waiting for the answer to come out on this one. It didn't seem right that you could have bent the axle stub without knowing something had happened.
I said...
I thought I may have tweaked the stub axle when I had my mishap last year
Oh, I hit something... I'm not proud of it but I am paying for it.

-Raffi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts