Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am a bit of a brute when I find inner bearings stuck. I grind a groove, short wise across the race and use a chisel and big hammer in the groove. They usually crack without too much trouble and come off easily. fwiw

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Vin
Thanks for the great post and pics! I too am going to replace front bearings when the weather gets warmer. I live in Ontario and am having a hard time finding a source for the parts, where did you purchase/order your bearings and seals from?
Thanks again for your great tutorial.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi Vin
Thanks for the great post and pics! I too am going to replace front bearings when the weather gets warmer. I live in Ontario and am having a hard time finding a source for the parts, where did you purchase/order your bearings and seals from?
Thanks again for your great tutorial.
Glad I could help.

I got all my parts from Motion Industries Canada. Not sure where you live, but they have 10 locations in Ontario. Here is the link. I used the Mississauga location.

I used all SKF products. 2 of each.

Outer Bearing 32303 J2
Inner Bearing 30206 J2
Seal 40x65x10

Total cost $218.36

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad I could help.

I got all my parts from Motion Industries Canada. Not sure where you live, but they have 10 locations in Ontario. Here is the link. I used the Mississauga location.

I used all SKF products. 2 of each.

Outer Bearing 32303 J2
Inner Bearing 30206 J2
Seal 40x65x10

Total cost $218.36

Good luck,

Vin
$218!?

These are the guys I always use in th eUK:

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
$218!?

These are the guys I always use in th eUK:

How much would they charge for all 6 pieces?

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ask them.
Oh, thought you knew since you were surprised at the cost in Canada including VAT and delivery.

Hope that link can help those on the your side of the pond.

Thanks for posting.

Vin

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I have never tried, but the idea of welding a few pieces of 3/8 x 3/8 x 3/4" long and using a puller may work. Just a thought. Good luck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh, thought you knew since you were surprised at the cost in Canada including VAT and delivery.

Hope that link can help those on the your side of the pond.

Thanks for posting.

Vin
Yes, I think if you look the one does ship international. Wych bearing are the people I use, very good. Now the UK has been forced out of the EU, our businesses will be looking to do business in the USA and Canada, so our politicians tell us!

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Excellent write up, thanks!

Classic Alfa has bearing kits for $64 per side including the seal.

Glad the thread is useful.

When I include shipping, duties, taxes and exchange rates from GBP to Canadian, the local source comes out lower cost.

I am sure I went through this when I did the change and found the local supplier to be the cheapest and quickest option.

Thanks again,

Vin

·
Registered
255 Posts
They would be about $38 a side including a seal from one of the sources I suggested, not sure about shipping, about $20, so about $96. Why would you pay duty in the USA? I was of the understanding anything under $800 was duty free? If not how much duty would you have to pay.
Just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Ok,

If I ordered from Classic Alfa and delivered to Canada, total cost would be $257 Canadian.

If I ordered from Wych (shipping is 55 GBP), amazingly comes to the same $257 Canadian. This does not include the 2 seals which can't be much.

Both come to 122 GBP delivered plus Canadian VAT on these parts. Don't ask me how they came to the same amount, but they just did. :)

Canadian VAT is 13%.

From a similar shipment, DHL charged $14.75 for processing and transaction fee.

So there you have it. Looks like we should all buy local and that will be the low cost solution.

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Not true in my case. Every time I order from CA it comes out cheaper and shipping is almost as fast as US Alfisti suppliers. I always look to CA first...

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Not true in my case. Every time I order from CA it comes out cheaper and shipping is almost as fast as US Alfisti suppliers. I always look to CA first...
So do I.

But not in this particular case.

Vin

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont get your calculations. Bearings on line, both sides, true no oil seal, shipped (shipping is $29) to Canada a total of $90.29 CD (that include UK VAT at 20% which you probably wont have to pay) , plus 13% VAT makes it $102CD. How do you get to $257?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I dont get your calculations. Bearings on line, both sides, true no oil seal, shipped (shipping is $29) to Canada a total of $90.29 CD (that include UK VAT at 20% which you probably wont have to pay) , plus 13% VAT makes it $102CD. How do you get to $257?

While I haven't checked Vintre's calculations I wouldn't hesitate to say they probably aren't that far off. We get raped in Canada. Everything costs more and when we have to buy outside of the country everybody takes advantage of us. Suppliers charge more for shipping, couriers charge fees like brokerage fees, handling fees, collect sales tax and import duties for the government. It's a $hit show. Oh... then there is exchange which is almost 30%. I remember my first purchase years ago from IAP. The parts were like $150 and by the time they landed at my door with all scam charges and exchanges, the end cost was almost $300. Doesn't seem possible but it unfortunately is the case. Anyways... this isnt really what this thread is really about, right?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I come to the Toronto area frequently to visit my family and would be happy to mule in some parts from the States! Next trip is last weekend in March. PM me if you need something.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts