Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

1991 Spider Veloce, 93,xxx miles.

I have been working on improving my braking and as a result, I was checking how much play I had at the tires. I found that all 4 have too much play for my comfort, the rears having a lot more than the fronts, so I decided it was time to change the bearings.

On this job, cleaning, greasing the bearings, spindles etc. is a messy job so lots of shop towels and gloves are needed.

Thanks to all who have made posts and or threads of their adventure's on wheel bearings that I read over and over and over again.

While I spoke to Papajam a few years ago about this project, this is the first major project for me that I have done without him. I would usually call him on a Sunday morning and chat about the project and I would make notes feverishly of what he was telling me. This time I couldn't but was thinking about him throughout.

For you Jim, RIP.

Let's start.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Place car on jack stands. Ensure that the car is stable.
1 (1).jpg

Remove the tire.
1 (2).jpg

At this point, with some forward thinking, I sprayed the flat head screws that hold the hub/rotor assembly together with some liquid wrench. We will come back to these screws later.
1 (3).jpg

Place a catch pan under the brake caliper to collect any brake fluid that might/will be spilled while removing the brake caliper.
1 (4).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using an 11mm wrench, remove the hard brake line fitting from the brake caliper.
1 (5).jpg

Place a vacuum cap over the fitting so you don't lose all your brake fluid, empty the master cylinder and get in a bunch of trouble you never asked for. :grin2:
1 (6).jpg

Using a 19mm socket, remove the 2 bolts holding the brake calipers. Remove the caliper.
1 (7).jpg

Remove the centre cap.
1 (8).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once you remove the cap you will find the nut secured with a cotter pin. Mine was full of grease but I cleaned it up a bit first. Straighten the cotter pin and remove.
1 (9).jpg

Using a 24mm socket, remove the nut. Here we are removing the driver side, LH. This side has left handed threads, so its Righty loosey, Lefty tighty. Have to remember that.
1 (10).jpg

At this point, if not stuck, you can wiggle the hub/rotor assembly back and forth and pull forward. This will allow you to get the washer and outer bearing out. They come out easily.
1 (11).jpg

You are left with the greased spindle.
1 (12).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clean the spindle and inspect for damage.
1 (13).jpg

Flip the hub/rotor assembly over and remove the seal with the weapon of your choice.
1 (14).jpg

That is some dirty old grease!
1 (15).jpg

Remove the inner bearing. Again, comes out easily.
1 (16).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now, remove the flat head screws and separate the hub and rotor. Hopefully, your screws won't be stuck. 3 of mine were good with just one Buttana seen on the right!
1 (17).jpg

Clean out the old grease from the hub.
1 (18).jpg

Nice and clean! Will re clean before we install the races and bearings, but they look so good after all that mess.
1 (19).jpg

Now to replace the races. Place the hub so that the outer race is facing down on some 2x4's.
1 (20).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using a punch, I used brass so as not to damage the hub, knock the race out by tapping it round and round. I followed the 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 3o'clock and 9 o'clock pattern until it came out.
1 (21).jpg

Did I say tap tap tap? I meant whack! whack! whack! Have to hit those races pretty hard to get them out.
1 (22).jpg

Eventually, the race will fall out the bottom. Note that the race has 2 sides. One with an edge and one with a flat. The flat side is the side that gets inserted into the hub on installation. That is why we see it here on extraction.
1 (23).jpg

Add some more height to the wood stand. Flip the hub over and knock the inner race out. Again, see the flat side.
1 (24).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Using brake cleaner, give the hub another thorough clean.
1 (25).jpg

So bright and shiny!
1 (26).jpg

I used SKF bearings for this project. Here is the outer bearing.
1 (34).jpg

You can see that the race and bearing can only fit together one way.
1 (28).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I "rented" (free once you bring it back) this bearing race and seal driver set from my local parts store. They didn't have metric, but this SAE was close enough.
1 (29).jpg

Choose the size that best fits your race. The race fits the side with the step on it.
1 (30).jpg

Place the race in the hub, FLAT SIDE DOWN. Here we are installing the outer race.
1 (31).jpg

Using the tool, slowly start to set the race in the hub with some taps so that the race is installed square. Once it is started, give the tool some sharp hits (see the top of that tool?) until the race is seated. You will know the race is seated as the hammer will start to bounce back at you. If you don't understand, you will when you do it.
1 (32).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First race installed!
1 (33).jpg

Here is the inner bearing/race part number from SKF.
1 (27).jpg

Same as the outer race, install race FLAT SIDE DOWN.
1 (35).jpg

Choose appropriate driver and install.
1 (36).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Inner race installed.
1 (37).jpg

Use brake cleaner to clean the bearings and races again prior to greasing.
1 (38).jpg

This is the high temp bearing grease my local parts store had. Things about to get messy so lots of gloves needed!
1 (39).jpg

Put grease into the centre of the hub. The manual says 2.5oz or so, but I couldn't fit that much. I would say fill the cavity 3/4 or so.
1 (40).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Onto greasing the bearings. You can grease the bearings using the palm of your hand (see many YouTube videos) or use a tool. There are a couple of tools out there but this is the one I used. Worked really well.

Place the bearing, larger side down, onto the tool.
1 (41).jpg

Screw on the top of the tool.
1 (42).jpg

Attach your grease gun to the fitting at the top of tool and start pumping.
1 (43).jpg

You will know the bearing is greased when you see the grease start to ooze out the bottom.
1 (44).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remove the top of the tool and here we have your inner bearing greased.
1 (45).jpg

Take some of the grease and wipe all around the outside of the bearing. Rolling it in your palm so that all the bearings are coated.
1 (46).jpg

Grease the inside of the race and install the bearing.
1 (47).jpg

This is the SKF seal I used for the inner bearing.
1 (48).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As with all seals of this type, grease the inner ring so that the spring is held in during installation.
1 (49).jpg

Using the bearing race/driver tool, choose the appropriate size (using the flat side of the tool) to drive the seal in.
1 (50).jpg

Drive in the seal. This took more time than I expected as the seal kept popping out, but with some forceful persuasion, I go them to stay in.
1 (51).jpg

Once the seal is in, put a bit of grease on the inner lip of the seal where it will be in contact with the spindle.
1 (52).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Now, the same procedure for the outer bearing, but no seal here.
1 (53).jpg
1 (54).jpg
1 (55).jpg

Grease the spindle.
1 (56).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
At this point, the hub/rotor assembly will be going back on soon, so I cleaned the back of the rotor as it has become dirty.
1 (57).jpg

Add some anti seize to those flat head screws that hold the hub/rotor together.
1 (58).jpg

Re-assemble the hub/rotor.
1 (59).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slide the hub/rotor assembly back onto the spindle. Insert the outer bearing.
1 (61).jpg

Insert the washer.
1 (62).jpg

Put on the 24mm nut. Here we are putting on the driver, LH, nut, so Lefty tighty, righty loosey.
1 (63).jpg

Torque to 14.8 thru 18.4 ft/lbs. I torqued to 16ft/lbs.
1 (64).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back the nut off a few turns
1 (65).jpg

Re torque to 3.7 thru 7.4ft/lbs. I torqued to 6ft/lbs.
1 (66).jpg

Once the second torque has been done, unscrew the nut by 90 degrees. Here again, we are doing the driver, so start at 3 and loosen to 6.
1 (67).jpg
1 (68).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Insert the cotter pin. There are holes in the spindle at 12/6 o'clock and 3/9 o'clock. If a notch on the nut and hole on the spindle don't align, screw the nut to the minimum to align.
1 (69).jpg

Bend and trim the cotter pin.
1 (70).jpg

The washer should be able to move ever so slightly. If not, the nut is too tight.
1 (71).jpg

Add some grease to the nut. Not really sure if this is needed but I see it everywhere so I did it anyways.:grin2:
1 (72).jpg

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replace centre cap.
1 (73).jpg

Add some blue loctite to caliper bolts.
1 (74).jpg

Re attach caliper. Torque spec is 54.6 thru 61.2 ft/lbs. I tightened to feel.
1 (75).jpg

Using 11mm wrench, re attach hard brake line to caliper.
1 (76).jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts