Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if someone has a good technique for pressing the link bushing onto the 105/115 front sway bar?

I've managed to do the rest of the front suspension without a hydraulic press, albeit slowly. But for the sway bar the best approach I've come up with is to grip the bar in a vise, support the free end as much as possible, and then wail (whale?) away at it with a BFH and brass drift. It does eventually work, but is slow and sometimes painful going. Just seems crude. Part of the problem is a lack of really solid support for the bar, so much of the hammering force is wasted. Even if with access to a press, I don't know how one would hold/support the bar without some pretty elaborate fixturing.

Anybody have the secret to success for this one?

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. And if a used bar could be located, might not offend the inner cheap-skate too much.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I read another thread this morning which suggests the top/bottom bushes are different, and that the sway bar- end bushes have a slight taper, the inner (wider) side indicated by a mark on the rubber.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That might have been my post — the top and bottom bushings are the same, but the drop link (dog bone) is asymmetric and only goes on one way. I first read about the bushing taper on this BB, was skeptical at first, but it seems to be true, though maybe with some variation between parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts