Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the brakes and tie rods already off I've decided to just do the rest of the suspension now.

What's the best source for parts? Centerline's prices are good but how's the quality of their parts? Are the FRAP ball joints really that bad and do we even have a choice anymore?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I bought lemforder from Jason at Alfissimo. He is a small operation so don't expect instant on hand stock (although he may have it all you never know). He is very communicative and helpful with drawings, etc. If you want the heavy duty stuff just tell him that is what you want (will cost more than the standard stuff from the "big two").

I did the right side and now I'm on the left side. I decided one side at a time so I could reference the other side if needed. Now that I'm on the left side I decided to do the steering box and since I had to remove the exhaust manifold to do that, I'm going for the engine mounts while I'm in there. And this is taking me a while because I'm cleaning up the wheel wells, painting everything, etc.

One thing to watch out for is which way the lower arm spherical bearings go in. The new ones will likely look different than your old ones so search that on the BB to make sure you get it right.

But if you run into trouble there is much here about how to do things. I took pics so you can PM me if you like.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It was my understanding that the Lemfoerder lower ball joints and upper arm were no longer available. Has that changed recently? Maybe he found some NOS? I'll try them this week.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
FRAP is good if you don't plan on driving the car much.....
Lemforder is available thru Euro sources.

·
Registered
169 Posts
need info

I see you have 67 duetto like me. I recently rebuilt my front suspension and used Lemforder. I now discover that passeger side camber is in about an inch. Alignment guy pointed to spring, driver side perfect. Anybody know what may have happned?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hmmmm....
The spring shouldn't affect camber. Is passenger side sitting a lot higher or lower than the DS ?

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,928 Posts
i use vw super bettle ball joints,,east to get at any local v-dub parts store..or even kragens(( napa parts are JUNK )

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my parts from the local Alfa garage. I don't know what brand, but not FRAP. Tie rod ends from Ebay; German "Meyle" brand, very good price. And FRAP adjustable upper arms; no choice there. You can still get non-FRAP nonadjustable arms though. IAP red springs and poly bushings too. I hope to have it ready by this spring.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
i use vw super bettle ball joints,,east to get at any local v-dub parts store..or even kragens(( napa parts are JUNK )
Do you know if there are off the shelf replacements for Alfa tie-rods? I've heard talk that the smaller track-rod tie rods are the same as an early Mercedes and I've also heard that the other, larger, tie-rods were VW beatle.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Talk to Paul Spruell. His stuff is good... as for tie rods, when I had one that just -wouldn't- separate from the old ball joint I got a used pair from APE for not too much money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you know if there are off the shelf replacements for Alfa tie-rods? I've heard talk that the smaller track-rod tie rods are the same as an early Mercedes and I've also heard that the other, larger, tie-rods were VW beatle.
I believe that they are the same as on the Mercedes W108 cars and probably many others as well which is why they're still available from Lemfoerder, while the Alfa-specific lower ball joints and upper arms are no longer available from them.

I bought Meyle brand ends from Ebay; they are a TRW company. Any brand will do as long as the tie rod ends are able to thread into the tie rods, the taper matches that of the steering and pitman arms, and, importantly, the inner tie rod ends must be able to clear the lower A-arm. They pass very close to it!

There's no reason to buy FRAP tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Do the Fraps feel like s**t or break in the first 10 miles, or both? What's the difference?

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,928 Posts
7 degree taper on the tie rod ends

1 - 15 of 15 Posts