Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The photos are showing an older repair from PO, considering that sometimes in the past the support was broken. Left side however is intact. I consider that this is inappropriate as top end of shock absorber's shaft almost touching the plate above. Also it is obvious that shaft is hitting occasionally the plate as it is already dented upwards. Any comments or suggestions how to fix it or how it should be?

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your best option would be to replace the entire shock tower. Not thát involved. I've not seen that part for sale as repro, so you'd need to get one from a donor car.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Your best option would be to replace the entire shock tower. Not thát involved. I've not seen that part for sale as repro, so you'd need to get one from a donor car.
Definitely the best way to repair this.....though finding a good part from a GT will be difficult so look for one from a Spider as it is identical.

·
Premium Member
22,800 Posts
I would say if it hasn't re-broken by now, let sleeping dogs lie and leave it. I wonder if they had super-firm shocks on and soft springs? Is the crossmember in OK, no fixes on its welds? Giulia sedans tended to tear out crossmembers but I haven't heard of it so much on GTVs.
Andrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the support have much flex typically? Just a general question. I wouldn't expect the shock adjustment shaft to hit the body short of the shock bottoming out or having vertical play (loose).

·
Administrator
14,293 Posts
Doesn't it always end up very close to the inner guard?

But yeah I'd replace it
Pete

·
Registered
84 Posts
How it should be depends on the year of your GT. The older ones have a separate weak flange on top.

'66 right side (broken, torn and bad repairs):

'66 left side (how it should be, but still dirty):

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Doesn't it always end up very close to the inner guard?
I've often seen signs that the stud had dented the inner panel. Don't forget Spica and Weber cars have a different inner panel, Spica is closer.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
replace the part.

this one is close to the ineer wheel arch, but there is space enough for the shock absorber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts