Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Currently right in the middle of this project. Thank you so much Vintre for going through the trouble of documenting the steps.

One question; is there a specific orientation for the wishbone bushings? Had them pressed in yesterday by a local shop and now doubting if they are in the right orientation. If not, does it make a difference?

Thanks for your help!
Hi Shiraz1965,

Glad the thread is helping you.

The bushings look right to me. The part that sticks out a bit faces inward, which looks like you have.

Remember when re-assemling to the car, the wishbone with the scallop faces the rear of the car. It makes a difference as the tie rod needs to clear it.

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
398 Posts
This would mean that mine are installed the wrong way around! I just used the orientation that the bushing and washer came in.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
This would mean that mine are installed the wrong way around! I just used the orientation that the bushing and washer came in.
Look at 3rd picture, post 20 in this thread.

Do they look like that?

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
As far as I can remember from doing mine there is a green oil control "ring" on the bush which goes on the inside and holds the spongy "washer" between the big washer on the arm and the bush holder, if that makes sense?
That's right. I couldn't see that from the picture.

Thanks, I have gone back and updated the thread.

Vin

·
Registered
398 Posts
Until i find a way of effectively printing a sticky post like yours without printing 50 pages of comments, I have to walk from my house office to the garage at every step. Didn't quite get what you were hinting at about the scalloped edge when I was reading your post but it became quite clear when came time to dismantle the part.

I was also happy to find out that the S2 is a bit simpler to work on than your S3 ;-) Only thing I needed to remove for better access are the SPICA airbox (2min. job) and the coolant overflow (1 min.)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, mine are installed the wrong way. The plastic ring on mine is not green and a little less apparent but they are definately installed the wrong way.

Does it really make a difference?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Cost

Do you know the machine shop charged me $178 to press out 4 bushings, press in 3 new spherical bushings, and press on a Speedi-sleeve on the scored spindle? (I already bought the Speedi-sleeve for $35) That's just for the RF corner. I don't think I'll go back. He's a sweet old guy and it's a 3rd generation shop. They're nice as can be, but for 20 minutes on a press? When you go in there, they have 12' long Caterpillar crankshafts being re-finished. They have an overhead bridge crane to move them. And a hundred cracked Subaru heads lying around waiting to be welded up and machined.

$178 ??

·
Registered
398 Posts
My mechanic didn't charge me anything which is why I don't want to go back. He said he'd get back at me on the alignment!

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
My mechanic didn't charge me anything which is why I don't want to go back. He said he'd get back at me on the alignment!
I don't know if it makes a difference but I have to believe that it does.

I would go back to him and see how much he wanted.

Mine charged me $40. Said he did it using his bench vise.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did it all myself on my vice and various contraptions made up from threaded bars and sockets, that's for every last bush (including the T bar) on the car so its quite possible to DIY, but the guy I use to fix the DD's said he'd do it free if I needed

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I don't think it's a huge difference and will probably work just fine except for perhaps longevity issues. The little green ring is to hold the foam washer. The foam washer is there to keep grit (dirt, etc.) from getting between the bushing and the dog bone flanges. Grit in there will eventually work into the bushing and destroy it. All that is probably only academic if you only drive your Alfa on dry sunny days though!

I like to be thorough so I'd probably have them redone. A guy like that probably won't take money to redo his own work, so drop off a case of good beer at the shop while you're there to have them redone.

For the record I paid the shop that works on my Audi $50 to do the lower bushings and replace the inner upper bushings and push out the caster bushings (I put a poly bushing in there).

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, that seems very reasonable. Exactly what I had him do, plus the Speedi-sleeve which just needs a pipe piece to push it on. And that was only one side. I think I'll figure out how to do the rest of them myself.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hello all, great write up Vintre. I am in the process of completing this job myself, and I noted something that I found strange. You have the torque settings for the dogbone to cross member at 40ish ft lbs. That seems very low to me. I have a shop manual that says it should be between 90-130 ft lbs. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks alfisti!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My shop manual says 40 (see attachment). 90-130 seems like WAY too much much torque for those little bolts. They're only 7 or 8mm. I'm pretty sure you'll strip them if you try to crank at 130.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lower-A arm bushes

How necessary is it to replace the wishbone bushes? My caps are spot welded on, and I'm curious to hear from you guys whether it's even worth it-- I mean how gnarly can these hermetically sealed bubble boy bushings really get?? That being said the rubber on all my front suspension bushings was shot.

I'm in Hollywood, and was quoted at $400 (!!!) to replace front and rear bushings on parts I had already pulled! Seems pretty absurd considering a lot of mechanics replace them for free-$100.

Any recs on a machine shop from you SoCal guys and gals? Doesn't need to be Alfa... the above quote was from Benny himself!

·
Registered
346 Posts
How necessary is it to replace the wishbone bushes? My caps are spot welded on, and I'm curious to hear from you guys whether it's even worth it-- I mean how gnarly can these hermetically sealed bubble boy bushings really get?? That being said the rubber on all my front suspension bushings was shot.

I'm in Hollywood, and was quoted at $400 (!!!) to replace front and rear bushings on parts I had already pulled! Seems pretty absurd considering a lot of mechanics replace them for free-$100.

Any recs on a machine shop from you SoCal guys and gals? Doesn't need to be Alfa... the above quote was from Benny himself!
Its worth doing because they will be fubar if they've never been touched, however it doesn't appear to make much difference to handling, I did mine for completeness

·
Registered
97 Posts
I add my accolades for the original post.

This is not a job for the faint at heart. My wife uses the Spider as a daily driver, so I'm curious about many hours to plan the complete overhaul. I'm guessing a shop would charge on the order of 6 hours per side, but those guys have all the tools and a hoist to make things a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I add my accolades for the original post.

This is not a job for the faint at heart. My wife uses the Spider as a daily driver, so I'm curious about many hours to plan the complete overhaul. I'm guessing a shop would charge on the order of 6 hours per side, but those guys have all the tools and a hoist to make things a lot easier.
Glad to hear that the thread is useful.

If you had all the parts and tools shown ready I would budget a weekend to do the work. I don't have a lift either.

Another set of hands always helps as well.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
858 Posts
am doing the job now on my 69 spider...lucky to have a kwik-lift so the car is at a nice working height...also have the factory spring tool which almost makes this job almost a pleasure;
thanks for for starting this great thread

101 - 120 of 173 Posts