Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What was wrong with the existing struts on the car?

They do last a very very long time, unless they develop a leak. although, they can rust badly in the joint between the cylinder and the wrap around flange.
Well, there is a lot of oil leaked out on the right suspension, and all I get is rubber-rubba and no resistance when bounced. Defiantly shot. But perhaps I should not be thinking of replacing both? I don't ever believe I've only replaced one side of anything.
- Michael

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have struts, fronts in stock, rears coming. I also have koni fronts that require a little mod to fit them in old housings
Good to know. I would like to hear both the mod approach. I assume it allows a cartridge insert into tower?

- Michael

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I replaced a leaky rear one on my 91S with a decent used one so that it supposedly matched the general characteristics of the good but used one on the other side. Worked fine for many miles,years until I decided to rebuild all those shocks.

To save money, that's probably what I would do, as there are probably some good low mileage but used struts out there available if you have little money. But, Jason has good stuff, and if you decide to go Full Monte with new, that would be great.

But, yes, the Konis are inserts, where you can use the stock shells. I might add, though usually, when adding a different product such as the adjustable Konis, you usually change all four corners so that the setups match. However, the rear Konis might not be available anymore (what Jason has is rare indeed if they are adjustable). Still, I'm sure they would work.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Good to know. I would like to hear both the mod approach. I assume it allows a cartridge insert into tower?

- Michael
You need to drill out upper mount inner bearing race to fit these konis. Otherwise I have a set of OEM front struts. No bother with retro fit. I suggest the latter as I have them in stock and they are ready to go.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts