Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to lower the stance of the front of my Duetto. I was able read an excellent post that gave great instruction of how to remove and install front 105 springs (LOVE this BB!!!)

I know both Centerline and IAP have springs that will work. For those of you that have bought one or both springs, please tell me the difference. I would like to lower 1" to 1.5" and would like the "softer" ride.

I did a search and was unable to gather info I was lookn for.:confused:

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
If you want the lower but softer ride, try removing the spacers under the springs (in the spring pan). These were made in a variety of thicknesses to adjust the ride height (probably because of idiotic US regulations).

A second choice is to add spacers ( a stack of washers will do) between the spring pan and the lower A-arms. Alfa also did this on some cars. Usually you see it on one side - the car (especially the early 1205's) that the driver's weight affects the ride.

All these choices will keep your current spring stiffness while lowering the car. Because of the geometry, a 1/2 inch spacer will change the ride by about one inch. Do watch out for dips and collisions with the oil pan!!

"In the day" we just cut one turn off the stock front springs (and the rears). This lowers the car about right (adjusted with spacers) and made them a bit stiffer, but still OK. Most aftermarket springs are essentially the same as this, but much more expensive.

Be sure to consider changing the shocks too. If you lower and stiffen the suspension, generally the stock shocks aren't quite right. Koni's are commonly used as they are adjustable. Most commonly, the fronts are set kinda stiff, and the rears as soft as possible. I would never put Koni Sport (yellow) on the rear (waaay too stiff) - reds on full soft are GTG. I've used reds on mid to firm in front, and currently use Yellows on mid+ for a bit more.

Roebrt

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Or you could go with Centerline 'red' springs as Albino wears. Koni reds (set soft) and the ride is superb !!

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
speedway motors. i have 1150 inch/pound spring in my front end,, nice ride not harsh, and no bottoming out..but i also run qa1 shocks in my car, just a little more money than those valted koni's , but if you ever need to rebuild them , you can , at home, + you don't need to remove the shock to adjust it, there is a dial on the bottom to do this.. rears? 200 inch/lbs..84 spider

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys

Gonna try to remove spacers and maybe washers. If i dont like the ride, will look at the albino's set up.

Marcos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts