Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, the front springs in the Spiders are almost like unobtainium these. I'm currently trying to figure out if it is possible to find a universal spring or spring from another vehicle that is the same length, diameter, and spring rate.

I have found the spring rate on the forums and there is a consensus that it is approximately 400 inch-lbs in several different threads.

Does anyone have the length and diameter of the springs as well? My springs are pretty mutilated (one is broken, the other is floppy, and neither will yield a correct length.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't really going for a performance option, more of a factory option. I bought the OE performance rear springs and I'm trying to find a suitable match for the front. I might end up going for the performance spring because that seems to be the only option.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
They may be 400 lb/in but they are more likely about 300. Here is the data that I have:
wire diameter 16mm
# of coils 6 7/8
coil diameter 136mm
Height (unloaded) 12.5"
rate 309

I believe that Centerline sport springs are 1100 and IAP are similar. That is a big jump. IMO you have a choice between too soft and too stiff. I am hoping to get a pair of 600's from Dave Rugh. He should have some available later in the month.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
go for the 1150"/lbs
The roads in California must be a lot smoother than those in South Carolina.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
remember,, the spring sit about 1/2 way in from the inner wishbone mounts, and the outer ball joint.. so a 400"/lbs spring would be only 200"/lbs..I found this out the hard way.. I bought 750"/lbs springs form speedway motors. and was bottoming out on everything so I went to 1150"/lbs springs and all is well( my note about spring rate.. go to the QA1 website. lots of great info. there ) and also the stock spring might be 350-450"/lbs, but that spring is over 15" long unloaded.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
It's easy to calculate the loaded length if you know the unloaded length, the spring rate and the weight on that corner. That is how I figured that the softer Centerline rear springs (for Duetto's) would give me the correct ride height in my 79 Spider. They are 1/8" lower than the heavy IAP red springs. They are a much nicer ride and there is less throttle oversteer.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Did you drive through one?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
at last moment I straddle one,only a few inches from the car next to me,when I moved my car .got to love the way a Alfa spider moves,like a part of your body :) :)

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts