Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and not found a definitive answer. What are the specs for the front springs. For rate calculation I need wire thickness, height, number of coils (outside diameter should be 5.5 inch). Does anyone have a stock spring available that they could measure for me?

Thanks

tom

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Something you may want to consider...The stock springs on my car made it sit very high. With Tom Sanor's helpful 'trial and error' experience the front and rear springs were cut shorter and flats ground on the bottom coils. Cutting the coils shorter increased the spring rate slightly. The result is a lower then stock car, that sits dead level, with a nice but not punishing ride (spring rate). The only cost was time, a $20 angle grinder and a can of spray paint and some 3/8" threaded rod and nuts. Results and information were provided previously but I can probably locate them if you like.

Also, it may be my imagination Tom but I seem to recall reading that the factory changed the spring length so both sides were the same, after the first 'X' number of cars.

Mark

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mark,

I'm currently running some "red" springs that had "1200" written on them. Probably IAP's and a bit harsh, Ride height looks good. I looked at the springs I took out and they are 11 inches high so they are either non original or cut down originals. I've done a rough calculation based on measurements and they are around 485 lb. which means they could be either old Shankle sport or cut down origina(very close numbers). Trying to decide if I want to switch back or pick up something in the 700lb range.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I ran IAP red springs on my 164-S for about 80,000 miles. Red usually indicates aftermarket springs. I loved the lowered look but at times the ride seemed too harsh -maybe good for competition. The 'S' has two suspension settings -Sport or Auto. Auto was too soft to use on anything but a very smooth highway. Eventually, I had the stock springs reinstalled and love the ride, in sport and auto but don't care for the look as much. A harsh ride gets old fast and you'll be less likely to drive if it is too stiff...

Mark

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have another set of "red" front springs (owning Alfa's for nearly 50 years you end up with a lot of extra parts). Based on measurements and the spring rate excel file they appear to be Shankle SS springs rated at 570. I think I will try them as a good compromise. I now need to check the rears. Car currently getting some much overdue maintenance. New T/A. injection setup, fuel lines etc. I will be also upgrading the dual fuel pumps and installing a new clutch(oh boy). I'm starting to feel my age! Should not need to do these again in my life time. Getting the car sorted for "Alfa's in the Glen" this fall. I had it there in 2005.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts