Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody help me in providing some equivalents codes for front shock absorbers for Alfa Giulietta Coupe 1958?
Any cheap ones from KYB or Monroe.
I know the classic alfa code 101-008/1 price 65 £
Thank you un advance

·
Administrator
3,721 Posts
For what it's worth I installed a set of Tony Stevens' Alfastop house brand shocks onto Dad's '57 Spider abnormale. I chatted to Tony about them and he said he did a lot of leg-work on these and that they are made by a reputable shock company and that the valving is near-as-dammit-to the original Giulietta shocks yet still quite close to Koni Red standard setting which I generally find too hard. I can confirm that the Alfastop ones really give a lovely ride quality to the Spider. The downside is the top cover is plastic and not metal, so they won't pass muster at concourse, but I actually like to drive my cars.

I would guess that this offering from Classic Alfa would be very similar albeit slightly more expensive (Edit: Corrected my pricing error)

Hard shocks and especially gas shocks don't work well with little light cars or cars not set-up for racing. A recent tour out here highlighted this on a 1750 round tail with gas shocks where it seemed that the only suspension travel was in the tyre sidewall. The little Giulietta by comparison was a sweet as chocolate over the bumpier sections of the route.

If you want to transform the handling of your Giulietta, an uprated anti-sway bar from Alfastop (https://www.alfastop.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code=1FS126) or from RMR will be far more beneficial than overly hard shocks

My 0.02 Lira's worth anyway

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
My 2 sense... the MOST important parts of the suspension are the DUHHHHH Springs and tires. If one insists on searching for a better mousetrap by installing springs and tires meant for competition there will be some regrets that result if you don't drive in competition. MOREOVER the competition spring rate is COMPOUNDED by trying to make the ride acceptable by playing around with shock absorbers or DAMPERS.. It's sort of like correcting the wrong prescription contact lenses by wearing spectacles.

I have yet to find anything better for the cars than stock springs and KONI shocks as set right out of the box.

BTW.. my 115 Spider had this GROSS CL suspension kit including KYB's .. All my dental fillings fell out. Went back to stock springs and shocks and the car was transformed to a supple, controllable, predictable, and comfortable ride under all conditions.....but not on the track.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2 sense... the MOST important parts of the suspension are the DUHHHHH Springs and tires. If one insists on searching for a better mousetrap by installing springs and tires meant for competition there will be some regrets that result if you don't drive in competition. MOREOVER the competition spring rate is COMPOUNDED by trying to make the ride acceptable by playing around with shock absorbers or DAMPERS.. It's sort of like correcting the wrong prescription contact lenses by wearing spectacles.

I have yet to find anything better for the cars than stock springs and KONI shocks as set right out of the box.

BTW.. my 115 Spider had this GROSS CL suspension kit including KYB's .. All my dental fillings fell out. Went back to stock springs and shocks and the car was transformed to a supple, controllable, predictable, and comfortable ride under all conditions.....but not on the track.
For what it's worth I installed a set of Tony Stevens' Alfastop house brand shocks onto Dad's '57 Spider abnormale. I chatted to Tony about them and he said he did a lot of leg-work on these and that they are made by a reputable shock company and that the valving is near-as-dammit-to the original Giulietta shocks yet still quite close to Koni Red standard setting which I generally find too hard. I can confirm that the Alfastop ones really give a lovely ride quality to the Spider. The downside is the top cover is plastic and not metal, so they won't pass muster at concourse, but I actually like to drive my cars.

I would guess that this offering from Classic Alfa would be very similar at a cheaper price

Hard shocks and especially gas shocks don't work well with little light cars or cars not set-up for racing. A recent tour out here highlighted this on a 1750 round tail with gas shocks where it seemed that the only suspension travel was in the tyre sidewall. The little Giulietta by comparison was a sweet as chocolate over the bumpier sections of the route.

If you want to transform the handling of your Giulietta, an RMR uprated anti-sway bar will be far more beneficial than overly hard shocks

My 0.02 Lira's worth anyway

Aye
Greig

Greig,
When I went to school in the last century, 2x shocks at GB£65.00 each was more expensive than 1x pair at GB£120.00!
Tony
AlfaStop

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news guys the equivalent KG4503 does not exist any more in my dealer program. Any other data ?

·
Administrator
3,721 Posts
Greig,
When I went to school in the last century, 2x shocks at GB£65.00 each was more expensive than 1x pair at GB£120.00!
Tony
AlfaStop
Ahhh Tony you are right, in my haste I didn't read the CA pricing correctly - my apologies to you and everyone else

I've corrected my original post re the pricing and added your anti-sway bar link to the post as well

Aye
Greig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts