Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the majority of posts on this but haven't been able to find the answer to this: In the S4 Spider manual "B" is the distance from the bottom ball joint to the floor and "A" 'must be measured in correspondence of the lower shaft as shown'. Is "A" measured to the threaded shaft that holds the spherical bearing or is it to the bottom of the metal cap as it appears to be in the drawing?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the forum on suspension, steering, brakes, ect., if you search for "ride height", spacecommander has a thread on page 2 and reply #6 by papajam has a picture of the drawing. I tried to copy and paste it but it wouldn't work for me. I'm at work, so this is the best that I can do for now.

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
Just a comment, seeing that chart (I have one like that for the Alfettas yet) but I do know that the Alfetta GT's and sedans we got in the US came with the front suspension jacked up, evidently to get the headlights up to some US requirement. Never did find out if that chart was for the European settings or for the US version, never actually measured the cars.

When the Alfetta front was lowered back down via the torsion adjustment, they looked ever so much better, as I think they were designed to be. It's what I was told by my dealer back then anyway. Once in a while I still see an Alfetta with the high front setting. Looks pretty weird, awkward.

The Giulia Sprint GT/GTV styling on the other hand looked kind of funny if the front end was lowered too much, the overall body style not lending itself to that stance. The entire body, or just maybe the front, could be lowered slightly. Same for spiders I think.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The difference between the bottom of the grease cap and the bottom of the threaded shaft is roughly 3/8", which is about a 25% difference in the max. measurement. Is this a critical measurement or just a place to start from seeing as there are so many different spring rates and lengths? Am I correct in assuming that both sides being equal is the most important factor for a street use Spider?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the first post I was incorrect about the definition of the measuring point being from my S4 manual. I must have printed it from another thread. I've attached the page from my S4 manual explaining where to measure to. I still can't figure out where that point is for measurement "B".

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    586.7 KB Views: 137
1 - 8 of 8 Posts