Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a second restoration project...85 gtv6.

I have never pulled the front or rear glass on gtv6. I do not want to damage the glass.

Can damage to the rubber surround be avoided?

front and rear surrounds available???

I would hire a pro to come and do removal, but I am more concerned with install......

Any tips???

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would commit to either saving the galss or the gasket, but not both. I talked through the issues with my local glass pro before attempting to pull them myself. He is good, but was hesitant on removal w/o breakage, so why not try it myself.

Decent sand blasting to the old windshield made it the sacrificial piece, but I tried my best to save it. Bought about 20 of the plastic putty knives at Home Depot for $0.50 each. Worked them around the edges from the inside and nearly had it out (1/2 inch gaps at the bottom) then Pang! Cracked down the center. Kicking the remains out relieved my frustration.

Picked up a used windsield locally - lucky - and removed it by cutting the gasket from the ourtside - no big deal, just go slowly and don't jab the razor knife into the glass.

Now with my old gasket and used windshield I am ready to install! install is much easier, as i have done the rope trick before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One trick that was used in the VW Beetle circles was to employ wax-coated string to remove and install rubber gasketed glass. Basically, you circle the glass inside the car with the string and pull the cord outwards around the perimeter of the glass to unseat the gasket. As I recall, the hardest part was working the ends of the string from the inside to the outside of the car. Reinstallling the glass is much easier as you place glass and seal with the string in the groove of the gasket with both ends hanging inside at the top. Pulling the string inwards draws the glass down nicely.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Better post on this procedure: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...78115-gtv6-windshield-removal.html#post988609

I'll be doing the same as last week Thursday, the GTV6 got caught outside in an unprecedented hail storm in Chicagoland. Hail the size of grade "A' small eggs.

Windshield cracked in 10 places - looks like shotgun victim from 20 yards. Not to mention hood and roof looks like dark side of the moon. Vinyl gas range cover looks like Orca attack on a sea lion! Comprehensive should cover it. Luckily, the rear hatch handled the onslaught. Good opportunity for bodywork/re-paint! ...unless she's totalled. In which case I can buy her back for a couple hundred and do it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tips !

too bad about your car Toonerboy....better that than your head...

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I was able to get a gasketed '79 Alfetta GT's windshield off with both the glass and gasket intact. I used every screwdriver I had and will admit to bending the glass pretty far at times, so there was obviously some luck involved.

Anyone local reading this I have a new green tinted front windshield which will fit either the later Alfetta's or GTV6's - I'm aware the latter came with bronze tinted glass. $175-

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone local reading this I have a new green tinted front windshield which will fit either the later Alfetta's or GTV6's - I'm aware the latter came with bronze tinted glass. $175-
That's one heck of a price. These windshields are like hens teeth new!

·
Registered
496 Posts
We still have about 8 new green tint here for $299ea/ or $275 ea for 2 in case anyone wants one or for a spare. I would assume most of the windshields being pulled are with haze and little pit marks. This is the special we have been running while supply lasts, will not be carrying these again anytime in the near future.

If anyone is interested we have several glass companies I can recomend. We don't make any $ off of referalls but we deal with many that can do this work well and have been at it a long time..

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for reply.

what is shipping cost to 44721?

How do you box them?

Will these work with the late series rubber gasket (1985 GTV6)??

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is for the rubber gasket type. Green tint.. freight to OH (business address or terminal pick up) is $125 + $25 crate. we will pack these in a large cardboard crate to be safe usually banded inside on a skid. We ship globally every day so not an issue. It is insured and we take care of any claims if damaged in transit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts