Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for how to mount a front license tag on the bumper, and the are no holes or parts to do that. it is a shame that we need front plates in NY, but that is a fact of life...Am I missing something, or do I have to tap some holes and mount it to the bumper that way...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I would read the law first. some times there are loop holes. (and keep a copy of the law in the car)
look for things like you have to put 2 on if the DMV gave you 2. in this case there is no proof the DMV did not give you one.
also look for things that state exceptions like no place to mount it.

and if you can't find a loop hole. At lest with the older alfa there was this ugly L bracket that stuck thru the vents of the triangle.

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really don't want to cover the triangle. so would have to make something on one side or the other...NY law doesn't give many options, but when I am at DMV I will ask anyway, nothing ventured, ect...I gotta imagine there is something, I can't be the only s4 in NY..hahaha.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
The stock plate location did not cover the triangle, but rather, was off to the driver's side with two brackets mounted in the opening for the radiator.

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess there were never brackets, the car came from Luwisiana, maybe they only needed 1 plate there...maybe I can hammer something up..I don't want to drill holes in bumper if I can help it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,112 Posts
If it's a '92 there should be predrilled holes for pop rivets in the top driver's side of that opening in the bumper.

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked, and there are 2 plates, perhaps that is where the device should reside. there is on one on each side...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Hi Bob,

No, thats not where the brackets are mounted.

You actually have to drill holes up through the facia and into the bumper.

Here is the location where they should go.

I have an extra set for the S4 if you need one.

Vin

License%20plate%20bracket.jpg

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,112 Posts
No, it should be four holes in front of that. Looks like you don't have them.

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bob,

Vin

View attachment 217621
yeah, I was looking, and the peices under don't line up with anything...I wonder what they are for....

anyway, sure, what would you want for them, and where are you, I am NYC

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Bob,

Vin

View attachment 217621
and is that your spider? I had ordered a yellow one in 76, ans they delivered a white one...who knows, but I didn't want to wait so I took the white one,,,the tilte said it was yellow...

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
and is that your spider? I had ordered a yellow one in 76, ans they delivered a white one...who knows, but I didn't want to wait so I took the white one,,,the tilte said it was yellow...
Nope. Not mine. Just found the picture to show the location.

If your looking for a Yellow Spider, my local mechanic has a '91 or '92 for sale. Wasn't cheap but he was offering a 2 year warranty at the time.

Vin

·
Registered
what part?
10,269 Posts
just a thought, what about gettint some really, really strong magnets, glue a pair behind the bumper skin, ans the other pair to the back of the plate? save you from drilling some holes in the nice bumper..

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
i have a 92 spider in manhattan.

i do not keep a front license plate on the car.

in 4 years, i only had two problems, but never got a ticket.

·
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a 92 spider in manhattan.

i do not keep a front license plate on the car.

in 4 years, i only had two problems, but never got a ticket.
I wonder if it mandatory, just because they give out 2 plates, maybe that is so they can charge twice as much, and you really only need one...but then when you go thrugh easypass. if they can't id your car, if the plack fails. it is a good question.

I worked in Manhattan for 40 years, before I was downsized , heading on 5 years ago...I guess you garage your car. I don't know I would leave something nice on the street...;)

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I wonder if it mandatory, just because they give out 2 plates, maybe that is so they can charge twice as much, and you really only need one...but then when you go thrugh easypass. if they can't id your car, if the plack fails. it is a good question.

I worked in Manhattan for 40 years, before I was downsized , heading on 5 years ago...I guess you garage your car. I don't know I would leave something nice on the street...;)
the car gets rotated between manhattan and NJ depending on the need to use it.

last week it was in manhattan, now it is in NJ, but next month it will be back in manhattan.

i do keep the car garaged when it is in manhattan and when it is in NJ it stays indoors with a car cover. i had custom bumper guards made for the car when it is in manhattan. they had to cut around the exhaust.

i would never tell anyone not to put a front license plate, it was just my choice as i think it does not look good on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
hehe a bumper bumper:D

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
it really spoils the clean look.

mine is like your. well almost
patience and one day they will be identical.

hope to see it in person one day.

SI is not far, so hopefully we can meet one day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts