Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can a front main seal on a 1300 101 spider normale be installed with the radiator in place,possibly with only the fan removed?Does anyone have a part number for a Speedi-sleeve,just in case it's needed?

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
I can't imagine doing it with the radiator in the way. Just accessing the nut holding the crankshaft pulley would be tough. Admittedly I've never tried and with some special tools, perhaps it would be possible. But I'd think you'd spend more time making/acquiring those tools and working in a confined space than it would take to remove and replace the radiator.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Unless the front cover has been modified, 750/101 engines have a lip on the seal bore that prevents you from doing that.

Joe

·
Administrator
4,076 Posts
Joe is right as usual, the seal goes in from behind, so it's a cover off job 😖

I've done it from the front on the later 105's, but they don't have the lip....

Ciao
Greig

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
jkbartusek said:
750/101 engines have a lip on the seal bore that prevents you from doing that
Do all 750/101 engines have that lip? I've only worked on 101 1600's, and it's been a long time, but I don't recall having to deal with that. Might the lip be unique to the earlier engines?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I just did a front seal change on a 120 engine, I didn't notice a lip preventing me from popping the seal out the front. I reinstalled from the front too...... Maybe a totally messed it up and I have a ticking time bomb on my hands...

·
Administrator
4,076 Posts
Just a thought here, but timing cover leaks can also be caused by a crack in the pulley along the keyway - check this first before going to the effort of changing the seal !!
Ciao
Greig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts