Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently gotten my '74 spider back on the road, and with the change in emission laws here in NJ, I have switched to historic auto plates. Since I am trying to be a good citizen, I guess I finally need to install a front license plate (I've been running with just the rear plate for years).

Does anyone have an appropriate bracket for a front plate for a '74? Or know how to make one?

IAP sells some brackets, but they're over $50 apiece and it requires 2. I could stand a few traffic summons at that price!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
stick with just the rear :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
It is great to live where intelligence prevails..especially at the DMV. Nevada has a law that states "if the vehicle doesn't have a FACTORY PROVISION FOR A FRONT PLATE, than the front one doesn't have to be displayed" You should, however carry the second plate in the car so an officer knows that there is one set of plates for the car. Don't you just love intelligent thought ?????

·
Registered
483 Posts
Virginia also does not require front plates for "antique" cars (25 years old or older) if the car was not originally manufactured to display a front plate.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I agree, no front plate looks best. But almost all Alfas have a provision for a front plate. Even Giuliettas. 74 Spider uses 2 "L' shaped brackets under drivers side bumper. Having had several tickets for no front plate, I have one on all my Alfas. Now. And Denver tickets cost me $50 each. Twice. Even with plate sitting on the dash. Not sure how I will deal with it on my Giulietta Spider Veloce with no bumpers. When I get it back on the road.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well, I was about to say in Colorado they pay no attention since they never have to mine, but you made me a liar before I posted Karen! D'oh....

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
If one parks on the streets of Denver, the meter maids will ticket. That is how they get paid. They are not regular DPD. Their only job is revenue for the City and County of Denver. I drove my 79 GT forever wth no front plate. But 2 tickets in a few days when parked in Denver on the street. More than a little annoying! And I don't want to give the police any reason for stopping me. Not that they don't make them up.
P.S. I have 2 factory front plate brackets for a 75-81 Spider. Not sure if they are the same as a 74, but should work. $20 for the pair plus shipping.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks like you're SOL in Colorado; the only exceptions I see in the CO statute allowing for one plate are for (A) A motorcycle; (B) A street rod vehicle; (C) A trailer or semitrailer; (D) A vehicle drawn by a motor vehicle; or (E) An item of special mobile machinery. One could argue that an Alfa is "an item of special mobile machinery" but I don't think that's what they mean by special.

In Virginia, "antique motor vehicles may display single license plates if the original manufacturer's design of the antique motor vehicles allows for the use of only single license plates." It's my understanding the front bracket (at least on series 3 Spiders) was a port or dealer installed item and therefore the original manufacturer's design allows for the use of only a single license plate. Anyhow, that's my story and I am sticking to it. BTW, I keep a copy of the statute in the glove compartment and the second plate in the trunk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts