Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Tried locating the ideal place to jack up the front of the gt junior.

Does anyone know where the correct location for this should be?

·
Registered
340 Posts
My first choice are the front jacking points behind the front wheel arches. Barring that, I sometimes use the cross member under the engine.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lawrence,

Ive got the jacking points at the back of the car but none in the front.

A friend of mine has a sprint GT and that has jacking points all round but there is nothing similar on this GT junior

·
Registered
249 Posts
It seems that if you're missing the jack point you could put a piece of 2x4 on your floor jack and place a folded clean rag on top of the 2x4. Then you could put it under the proper location...you can see it protruding down, just to the right of the wheel.

Also you should see a rectangular steel cross member welded to the floor running just under the seats, I've used that to lift both of the wheels on one side of the car simultaneously.

If you can get your jack to the cross member under the engine that works great (like Igowin described). If the car's too low to get the jack to that cross member, drive one of the front wheels up onto a 2x6 to create more space.

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

The current situation with the car is that all wheels are seized and so are the wheel nuts.

I am hoping to jack the car up and put wheel dollys on the thing to get it out of a friends garage and into storage.

The front jack mounts are completely missing when comparing to the image you posted. I did see the bar you mentioned however I am worried the jack will dent it since it is not a box section panel.

I will give the front crossmember a go maybe I might be able to fit the jack underneath.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It helps to have a small floor jack when working on Alfas, for just this purpose. The Jack needs a rubber pad or piece of wood on it to protect the front cross member. My GT still wears the dents I put in the cross member in 1983 when I jacked it up the first time (It's now part of the car's "patina"). Jacking under the pan will lift the car, but place all the weight on the aluminum pan and motor mounts -- not a good idea.

Also, given that the front jack points are entirely gone and you can't roll the car, you may be able to put a jack under one side of the rear and get the car high enough to give you a little more room up front to reach the cross member. I'd look really hard at the rear jack points, though, to make sure they are solid.

If all four wheels are locked, I wonder if opening a brake line, or lines, might free them?

Failing all the above, a tow truck's dollies go around the wheels; they don't require lifting it first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts