Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm reading my parts manuals right the US GTV 2000s had their blinkers below the bumpers and the Euro cars had them above?

For some reason this surprises me... the US look seems "cleaner" in the sheet metal and I'd have thought the DOT would want the indicators as high as possible.

I'm doing a nose graft (I have one nose with each configuration) and trying to decide which to use. The Euro style nose is in better shape so I'm leaning that way, with clear lensed blinkers.

EURO:
Screen shot 2014-10-04 at 10.29.44 AM.jpg

USA:
Screen shot 2014-10-04 at 10.29.44 AM (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
The Euro ones are actually mounted into the metal of the car, aren't they? Whereas the US ones just hang off the bottom of the bumper? That being the case, I'd choose the better integrated Euro style if I had the choice.

·
Registered
558 Posts
As far as I know the US FMVSS (did I get that right?) standards specified a minimum distance between headlight center and turn signal center, to avoid the turn signal being "lost" in the light of the headlights at night. The euro setup didn't meet the min distance...
/Neil

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting - thanks.

Can't say I recognize the acronym though.

As far as I know the US FMVSS (did I get that right?) standards specified a minimum distance between headlight center and turn signal center, to avoid the turn signal being "lost" in the light of the headlights at night. The euro setup didn't meet the min distance...
/Neil

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
/Neil
It's the reason a number of pretty euro classic cars got uglier as time went on, to satisfy these regs, which I think also included rubber bumper additions, often over-riders
E type jag
Porsche 911
MGB
Mercedes pagoda and saloons

1 - 8 of 8 Posts